Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hydraulic vs roller setups?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default hydraulic vs roller setups?

i currently have a hydraulic roller heads and cam setup on my car. I was wondering what the differences were, benifits, drawbacks, reliability, and maintenance between hydraulic and solid roller setup. the solid roller would be about @.050 242-248 | Lift .570-.576 | LSA 112 | RPM Range 2500-6500. the car will be daily driven and i was wondering if thats plausable with a solid roller setup. the bottom end is built to handle a little over 7k rpms so im not worried about winding out the motor. are their any drawbacks to the solid roller other than adjusting the rocker arms more often? how often do you have to adjust them? is there any other maintenance i would have to worry about with solid rollers? do you think its a good idea or no? the motor can handle it, the only thing im worried about is reliability and the fact that it will be daily driven.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: hydraulic vs roller setups?

In a nutshell...

Better driveability, more useable power (all things being equal), more cost, more noise, and more maintenance are what to expect with a solid roller setup.

To do it "right" you'll want an appropriately sized valvespring (with adequate closed/open pressure for the cam you decide on), and high quality adjustable rocker arms (I have the T&D rockers). Generally, a solid roller setup is also more abusive on components in general (valvesprings, valveseats, etc).
Old 03-11-2003, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Valve lash adjustments... Frequency will be determined by a few different factors, but generally every couple of oil changes.

Not really a big deal and usually not a deterrent to most folks.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

valve lash adjustments arent anything im worried about, but other than valve lash adjustments there really isnt much more maintenance is there? how about wear and tear on parts: lifters and springs? how often would you say those needed to be changed if the car is daily driven with the occasional street race on the weekend? thanx again for the info George.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

what about idleing? I have a friend who had a solid roller LT1 and he advised me that it is not good to let it sit at idle in traffic and drive throughs, etc for very long due to it not getting much oil.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

solid roller setups dont allow much oil to the top of the engine at idle...not enough PSI. as long as the motor isnt at idle it isnt a problem, but to leave it idling for long periods of time without revving it could possibly cause some damage. somebody please correct me if im wrong
Old 03-11-2003, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

ok, that is what I had heard, I was just asking to clarify.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

how much more maintenance and what type of maintenance, i waw thinking along the lines of a Dur@.050 242-248 | Lift .570-.576 | LSA 112 | RPM Range 2500-6500