Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

243 Heads Milled/ what cam and PTV issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Beau@Texas-Speed
You can still mill the heads. Just don't go so far with it.

.030" = 228R
.020" = TQR2/3
.010" = MS3/4

These are rough measurements. Please call for exact specs before milling or just send your heads to us and tell us what cam you want. We will do the rest!
I agree with the first comments on 22R and TV2 but mill on MS3 and MS4? That is ludicrous coming from someone that is supposed to give good advice.

MS4 barely fits and has unsafe margins on stock setups. To do it right those cams should have fly-cuts. Just because the motor turns over doesn't mean it is safe. MS3 and certainly MS4 do not have safe street margins, MS3 on 113 lsa is better than MS4, but not by much.
I've seen many times what an MS4 leaves on the pistons after the springs get tired and we all know most modders do not religiously swap springs on a regular basis or measure for PTV clearance.
My advice is if you run MS4, use BTR springs and measure PTV, fly-cut if necessary and mill accordingly to achieve both compression and safe margins.
Minimum safe margins on hydraulic setups should be at least .80 intake & .100 exhaust.
Some people run with less but that is playing with fire.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I agree with the first comments on 22R and TV2 but mill on MS3 and MS4? That is ludicrous coming from someone that is supposed to give good advice.

MS4 barely fits and has unsafe margins on stock setups. To do it right those cams should have fly-cuts. Just because the motor turns over doesn't mean it is safe. MS3 and certainly MS4 do not have safe street margins, MS3 on 113 lsa is better than MS4, but not by much.
I've seen many times what an MS4 leaves on the pistons after the springs get tired and we all know most modders do not religiously swap springs on a regular basis or measure for PTV clearance.
My advice is if you run MS4, use BTR springs and measure PTV, fly-cut if necessary and mill accordingly to achieve both compression and safe margins.
Minimum safe margins on hydraulic setups should be at least .80 intake & .100 exhaust.
Some people run with less but that is playing with fire.
There is a enough PTV clearance for Magic stick cams @ that level. We mill our Stage 2.5 LS6 heads .007" for MS3/MS4 cams. It's our standard mill to ensure the heads have a flat surface and we still retain proper PTV clearance with those line of cams. If you will remember, people used to run Trex cams under factory stock heads.

Last edited by Beau@Texas-Speed; 02-20-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does milling such little amounts still have good benefits? I only wanted to mill my heads to achieve 11:1 CR because I thought that would give me the most horses without going super crazy on the milling. I know obviously the higher the CR, the more HP's ill pick up but I didn't want to go crazy on the CR. So does milling only .010"-.020" still have benefits? From what I've read, that will only bump my stock CR (10.5:1) to like 10.7-.9:1. Is there still benefits from such a small compression bump?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

In most cases, it is necessary to true up the heads and ensure they are a flat surface. Milling .007" roughly shaves away 1cc, so the benefit of added compression is not much, but the peace of mind (to me) would be important.

That said, any bump in compression is a good thing.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

I guess I should clarify this a little......This is with a PRC valve job in which we sink the valves. I can't speak for anyone else's machine work and what mill clears what cam.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beau@Texas-Speed
I guess I should clarify this a little......This is with a PRC valve job in which we sink the valves. I can't speak for anyone else's machine work and what mill clears what cam.
There is the truth, so you band-aid by sinking valves, I know what I'm talking about I've used your crap heads before. Apparently you guys have improved but the set I had (stage 2.5 5.3s) were just barely worth the $$ spent. One water passage even had casting default and was not cleaned and de-burred. If I was not **** about checking everything I buy I would have been royally screwed. Shoot a retainer from the PRC platinum springs I used was also lodged in another water passage. You guys need to pay way more attention to quality and avoid to always plunge on the marketing cool aid.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:02 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Sorry to hear you feel that way. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can't satisfy everybody, I just had a bitter experience. Keep it real and honest, it actually pays at the long run. You guys did try to solve the issues, but me being overseas at that time made it unfeasible. Like i said you guys apparently improved a lot but you still have this marketing pressures to deal with and that has always taken precedent to the honest truth about your setups. I wish you all the best.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sales4@Texas-Speed
.030" would be what we mill for a 228R.

235/243 will hit for sure on stock short block and .030" milled.
Bringing this post back from the dead.. But anyways. Would 243 heads milled .030" on a stock lq4 with dished pistons work ok with the tsp Torquer V4 cam if i have the pistons flycut? that way i can get a good bump in CR but still have a good sized cam. what would the CR be if i did this? im trying to get as close to 11:1 as possible if not more.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
I completely agree. I went from a what most people would consider a daily driver cam to the setup in my sig. Don't do it twice fella's. Go with your gut and pick the cam/setup you want. Jake, those pics look all too familiar. Here's a shot of mine...
Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Oh wow dude! Thank you for posting that link. I think that just set it off for me. If I saw the numbers correctly (dyno graph pic was to small) but at 427rwhp with only SNS Stage 3, UD pulley, headers, and a fast 92/92, that's amazing! I probably won't get a fast intake; ill just port my ls6 intake. I've heard controversy over porting the ls6 intake though. I hear it doesn't do much for you over stock. Yeah that pretty much set it off for me. SNS Stage 3 it is. I was also contemplating the MS3 or TSP 233/239. I'm glad I got to see that dyno graph with stock 243s cause that was really crucial for me since I won't be porting my heads until the future. I was worried I wouldn't benefit much from a big cam without porting my heads but that graph proved otherwise. Thanks for sharing that!
That Saturday Night Special is an excellent camshaft, but I would not mill your heads any more than .010" with it.

The flycutting might be easier than you think. Search around, there is a few how-to threads on it using the Lindy tool and it opens up your possibilities.

Quick Reply: 243 Heads Milled/ what cam and PTV issues?