Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok. So I bought a LQ4. What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014 | 12:10 PM
Launching!

Default Ok. So I bought a LQ4. What's next?

Remaned once in its life by jasper already.

Crank is cut .010/.010
Rough bore measurement indicates already .020/.030 over
Motor had 42k on it when pulled because of top end issue (broken spring - valve made ever so slight piston contact)
bearings all looked excellent
cylinders showed no scoring and excellent crosshatch

Since it is already overbored it does not have stock pistons. They have a black skirt but i can't find any identifiable markings. They are a slight dish as the stock ones would be. offhand i'd have to say they look like a KB/Speed Pro piston (I know they use the off color skirts) along the lines of -5 to -8cc dish.

This is my dilemma:

I really only purchased this motor for the block...but the damn thing looks to be in terrific shape inside. good enough that after being tanked/cleaned and new cam bearings i'd almost do a very light hone to break any glaze/ridge and run as-is pending what everything measures out at...

The original plan was straight to .030 and go 408 in a year or two. I already have TEA CNC'd 241's and a tick 23x/24x .61x"/.59x" 111+3 combo for my stock block for this season and to tide me over til next engine is done.

though given what kind of shape the motor is in...i'm wondering if i should toss this all on top of that 6.0L and give it a run like that?

Compression calculator seems to say i'd be within a tenth of a point either way between running this on a LS1 vs LQ4. I'd need to purchase matching head gaskets and a set of rod bolts. I still need head bolts anyways. I have everything else i need here at the house besides lifter trays & pushrods.

Or i could just toss everything on my 114k mile LS1 and build the LQ4 into something super stout. 408/414 minimum N/A or drop the compression a bit and run excessive amounts of boost.

I'm truly torn.

What would you do?

Quick Reply: Ok. So I bought a LQ4. What's next?