Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS7 Lifters have me concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LS7 Lifters have me concerned?

I have question about a new set of LS7 lifters I bought and hopefully someone has some experienced input. After visually inspecting the lifters, I rolled the tips with my finger which is when I noticed something odd. After rolling maybe 2 revolutions, I noticed a hitch or bind slightly. They don't stop completely, just seem to catch and or are not real smooth. There is really no consistency to when they catch. I have not checked them all, and not all the ones I have checked did it. These are brand new GM lifters. Should I be concerned, or is this normal. The seller has a lot of experience selling these, and has not had anyone else mention this. He is offering to exchange them, but I don't want to go through that if I don't have to. None of my 90k mile stock LS1 lifters do this, I checked them all.

Any input? Thanks
Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the good ones, send back the bad ones, and ask the seller to only send replacements that have been checked.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkman
Keep the good ones, send back the bad ones, and ask the seller to only send replacements that have been checked.
Yeah that's what he has offered. Just don't know if they are truly bad or I'm just being too fussy about it. Just doesn't seem normal to me and was trying to see if anyone else has experienced it. Maybe they're fine, maybe not, but unless there was another bad batch, it's pretty scary to think that out of 16 there could possibly be 4 or so bad... 25%, not good!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Crane cams says to check their roller lifters this way and if the wheel has any hang up they are not to be used and considered damaged.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Don't use a lifter that hitches. It will cause problems later.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Lifters aren't like spark plugs that you can easily change later if you don't like them. Lifters are not all that expensive, but if they fail the damage that results is. If they don't seem perfect to you - don' t use them.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 2500
Crane cams says to check their roller lifters this way and if the wheel has any hang up they are not to be used and considered damaged.
Good information! Thank you!

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Don't use a lifter that hitches. It will cause problems later.
That's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure. Thanks

Originally Posted by Darkman
Lifters aren't like spark plugs that you can easily change later if you don't like them. Lifters are not all that expensive, but if they fail the damage that results is. If they don't seem perfect to you - don' t use them.
That's exactly what my worry was, a stupid $10 lifter taking out my cam or worse. Only experience I have with these lifters is what I've read.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Send them back for new ones.

I just installed some new u joints in a driveshaft for my 12 bolt swap. After the rear one was installed, I rotated the outer two caps, and one of them had a little hang up just like youre describing. I took the cap off, cleaned off the grease and sure enough, there were two tiny nicks in the joint surface.

When it comes to bearings and rollers, theres no such thing as too perfect. Its either good or its bad, there is no happy medium, because anything less than perfect WILL be premature failure.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 AM
Teching In

I just did a quick roll on all 16 lifters and so far have found 3 that noticeably hitched and one that sort of just dragged. One of them took about 8-10 turns to get it to hitch. I will roll them all again before I send the bad ones back. Contemplating sending them all back and starting over. Not very promising! Thats a pretty bad percentage to be bad, or at the least questionable.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

GM does oil the lifters before packing them up to prevent rust when they are sitting on a shelf, just like a cam would come from comp. You don't just throw parts in a motor, you must clean them first to get all of that packing oil off and then reoil them. I would try this first.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've read that GM had 2 suppliers of their DOD lifters and one supplier was know to have faulty product. I truly wonder if GM is having this same problem with the regular (LS7) lifters too. When people never have problems they got the good supplier. Makes you wonder.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crazy ive seen 2 threads about issues with ls7 lifters.

I just received my heads and ordered GM LS7 lifters..
Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
GM does oil the lifters before packing them up to prevent rust when they are sitting on a shelf, just like a cam would come from comp. You don't just throw parts in a motor, you must clean them first to get all of that packing oil off and then reoil them. I would try this first.
I understand what you are saying, and was going to try this but was afraid if I did the seller might not accept them back. I had a conversation with him today and he is on board with me trying this or just sending them back, either way. If they still do it after I clean them, then he will exchange them with no problems. I don't mind trying this and it is a no lose situation. Actually I'm kind of interested in what the result will be.

Any idea what the preferred method is? I'm thinking soaking them in mineral spirits or something like that would work. Maybe spraying them with brake cleaner? Should I blow them out with air after? I know there are a lot of varying opinions on soaking them in oil, but I would probably do that after cleaning.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Clean them in WD-40. It is a reasonably good solvent, but will leave some lubricity.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Friggy
I understand what you are saying, and was going to try this but was afraid if I did the seller might not accept them back. I had a conversation with him today and he is on board with me trying this or just sending them back, either way. If they still do it after I clean them, then he will exchange them with no problems. I don't mind trying this and it is a no lose situation. Actually I'm kind of interested in what the result will be.

Any idea what the preferred method is? I'm thinking soaking them in mineral spirits or something like that would work. Maybe spraying them with brake cleaner? Should I blow them out with air after? I know there are a lot of varying opinions on soaking them in oil, but I would probably do that after cleaning.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I usually spray brake cleaner on a rag and wipe down the lifter body. give a little shot in the wheel area and spin the wheel. Wipe off all cleaner and then soak in your oil of choice.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Teching In

I just wanted to update this as to what I found. I ended up soaking the lifters in mineral spirits overnight, blew dry, and let stand to completely dry out. I then sprayed them down with WD40, concentrating on the roller. These things now roll perfectly smooth, no hitching at all, and they all have the same roller action. You wouldn't believe the amount of debris left behind in my cleaning container. Makes you realize how important it is to clean these things before installation.

They are now sealed up waiting for installation. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep seen it many many times. ALWAYS disassemble and inspect hyd lifters no matter who makes them. They are always dirty.

Quick Reply: New LS7 Lifters have me concerned?