Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 MAF conversion to a blade style

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 MAF conversion to a blade style

Anyone ever tried using the blade style maf from spectre? Does it require computer tune or and special mods? I'm going to install their lsx 797 kit that installs up and over the intake manifold and thought that the blade style would be less restrictive because you can keep the tubing at 4in all the way to the filter. I'm not crying trying to get 1.5 extra horses, just thought it would be more pro lookin. Whatcha all think?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

any MAF mod requires reprogramming. Hell even just changing the tract around an existing MAF can impact accuracy.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Jayred, welcome to LS1tech!

Unless you have more than 383 inches, such a big MAF may actually hurt your performance vs. the stock unit. Yes, you'll need a tune because the LS7 MAF is different than the LS1 MAF.

What vehicle is this for? What mods do you have?
Old 03-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Cool, I'm not gonna dic with it then. Its a 71 C10 long bed. I bought it recently, the owner had a ls1 installed. He barely knew what he had done to it. Casting numbers indicate ls1 block/ls6 heads. It's got a aggressive cam but he doesn't know the specs on it. The low idle will randomly stall out once in a blue moon when dropped into gear. I'm thinking it needs a computer tune anyway or maybe just buy some maf cleaner when I get the new intake to help with that. He had a really tiny air filter jammed on the front from street and performance.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-08-2014, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Hey Jayred, welcome to LS1tech!

Unless you have more than 383 inches, such a big MAF may actually hurt your performance vs. the stock unit. Yes, you'll need a tune because the LS7 MAF is different than the LS1 MAF.

What vehicle is this for? What mods do you have?
Then why would you gain hp on stock ls1 after getting SD tune and ditching the stock maf ?
Old 03-08-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

After seeing people drive year round in speed density with absolutely no adverse effects, I am not sure why people would even spend money or time on a MAF setup. To me, even just the time spent thinking about what to do with a MAF is a big waste.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:45 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by _GTO_
Then why would you gain hp on stock ls1 after getting SD tune and ditching the stock maf ?
You won't.

You will with a TUNE.

I went SD only because for my setup the MAF itself was actually a restriction in the intake tract, in other words, my motor was pulling vacuum with it being in the way.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
You won't.

You will with a TUNE.

I went SD only because for my setup the MAF itself was actually a restriction in the intake tract, in other words, my motor was pulling vacuum with it being in the way.
Indeed , what i meant was, that the maf might be a restriction and by ditching it you will gain something , just like getting bigger maf you're allowing your engine to breath better and will result in more power and its wrong that you only need it with bigger ci .
Old 03-09-2014, 01:16 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The stock MAF is good for airflow up to about 450 HP.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
The blade style MAF really are not 100 accurate as a 85mm GM style MAF primarily due to the softwre with the early PCM's. The later ECM's have faster processors and they work well.

Some do it, but its not accurate. I would recomend using a 85mm truck/car GM MAF or go SD if you are worried about the restriction.

I m sure someone will post here that they have done it, good for them, but its still not finite accurate.
Me!

I just put one in. I got a card maf, the pigtail, and the spectre 4" tube.

It tuned just as easily as an 85mm maf. I haven't done a verification log yet though to see if it's still dialed in. I'll do that next week and report back.

I wanted to pick up the power of a 4" tube, but I hate full SD.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Nice...
I was able to make things work with the stock boot in MAF. I cleaned it and she runs so much smoother now. I had to boot it in right behind the air filter due to space, hopefully it doesn't get too much oil built up on it too fast.
Attached Thumbnails Ls1 MAF conversion to a blade style-photo-2.jpg   Ls1 MAF conversion to a blade style-photo-1.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So have people been able to make an FTP lid with the TSP 100mm MAF work well on an LS1? thinking of putting them on and then moving to a bigger motor

Quick Reply: Ls1 MAF conversion to a blade style