Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point do I need a HV oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If it is a bypass flow setup of some sort siphoning partial flow away from main flow certainly, like maybe a turbo or ultra high efficiency bypass filtration, but if full flow as I thought most setups typically were how would a HV pump help?

HV pumps go into bypass at a lower rpm given the same bearing clearances, once at the same bypass pressure standard volume and HV are going to push the same amount through bearings and on high rpm motors all that ectra oil in bypass is just getting heated up more, and increasing the likelyhood of cavitation, flooding the valvecovers or draining the pan.

Unless bearing clearances are extra wide using high rpm as the excuse for HV is actually specifically contradictory to reasonable thought because either pump would likely be in bypass long before the higher rpm is reached.

If one stops and thinks about it a HV pump makes more sense on a low rpm motor that never spins the pump fast enough to create extra flow, it will move more oil at those low rpms.
Pressure, in this case oil pressure, is a fraction. The numerator of that fraction is the amount of force (volume and velocity) with which the oil arrives and any particular point in the oil system. The denominator of that fraction is the downstream area over which the “force” is to be distributed.

Anytime the area over which the force is to be distributed is increased in one part of the oil system the residual force available to provide pressure to remaining, downstream system is potentially affected. When oil coolers, oil accumulators, or remote filtering units are added to the system they increase, sometimes dramatically, the area over which the force available from the oil pump is to be distributed. This increase is a function of the additional length, diameter, and internal friction associated with the system additions. There is no such thing as system additional that does not consume “force.” The amount of force consumed can be reduced by using adequate line diameters, reducing internal friction, and minimizing length, but the sum is never “zero.”

Whether the modified oil system will benefit from a high volume pump depends on whether the standard volume pump can supply the increased “force” (volume and velocity) required to maintain adequate oil pressure at all operating conditions. Obviously, there can be some point where the standard pump is not being bypassed but is nonetheless incapable of providing the required “force” (volume and velocity) for an expanded oil system.

Last edited by Darkman; 03-22-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:27 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Unless bearing clearances are extra wide using high rpm as the excuse for HV is actually specifically contradictory to reasonable thought because either pump would likely be in bypass long before the higher rpm is reached.
Typically, the bearing clearances are looser when the engine will be living at a higher RPM...or at least they should be. Even using a standard volume pump will usually work with looser clearances, but the lower oil pressure at normal temperatures at idle scare most people, even though it won't really hurt anything.

I'm no Fluids Engineer, but I do remember reading a Melling publication that said the bypass oil recirculating through the pump actually helps to resist and reduce cavitation in the pump.

Quick Reply: At what point do I need a HV oil pump