Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunions with stock rocker arms ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunions with stock rocker arms ?

Hey guys I know I had heard about this long ago but completely forgot till just now. Can someone explain how this happens and what the best solution is ? I know they can destroy your motor from what I remember long ago. Brian Tooley or Comp upgrade right ?
Old 03-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedHottG2
Hey guys I know I had heard about this long ago but completely forgot till just now. Can someone explain how this happens and what the best solution is ? I know they can destroy your motor from what I remember long ago. Brian Tooley or Comp upgrade right ?
How what happens? You left that part out of your post. I personally have comp cams trunion upgrade and had it cryogenically treated as well as the body of the rocker too for increased strength.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6
I personally have comp cams trunion upgrade and had it cryogenically treated as well as the body of the rocker too for increased strength.
How much did that cost to have done ?

Thanks !
Old 03-22-2014, 11:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

http://www.coloradospeed.com/comp-ca...2-p-12644.html

here they are. they come with everything you need to install them minus a press or vice.
They are def the go to option right now for quite a few builds. They even come with the new custom length bolts.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I just finished upgrading mine with a kit from BTR. I compared his kit to the CC kit. It's a smidgen cheaper, and comes with new bolts.

The kit does not come with instructions. Not a problem, I just downloaded the instructions from CC. The kit also includes the correct thick washers to use in the press for proper spacing. I used a 12 ton shop press; $112 from Harbor Freight. But I'd bet you could do it in a medium to large bench vise without any problem. But, I have the press, might as well use it.

Previously, I cleaned the used rockers really well, and then sprayed the bearing area with PB Blaster. Working with clean, non-slimey parts is much easier.

The job was really easy, much easier than I thought it would be. But it is tedious and sort of time consuming. You're pressing out 16 factory bearings, and then pressing in 32 new bearings. Doing each step all at once saves set up time in the press. Remove all factory bearings and shafts, press in one new bearing on one side of each rocker arm, and then press in the the other bearings using the washers.

The instructions from CC emphasize that the lettering on the bearings MUST be on the outside. Not sure why, but I did it anyway.

Then install 32 snap rings, and you're done.

From setting up the press to installing the last snap ring is about an hour and 15 minutes.

The kit came with one extra bearing, and 2 extra snap rings. In case I screwed one of them up or lose one - which I sometimes do. Thanks for thinking of me, Brian.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A C-clamp and a Belgian beer works good too.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
[url]

here they are. they come with everything you need to install them minus a press or vice.
They are def the go to option right now for quite a few builds. They even come with the new custom length bolts.

I meant how much did it cost to get them cryogenically treated ?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I was not the one that said that previous part. I am giving the OP info.

Quick Reply: Trunions with stock rocker arms ?