Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad1995
wouldnt the coolant disappear if that was the case?
Yeah. When you said it hardly had any fluids in it when you bought it, what all fluids were low? Have you done the leak down test recommended elsewhere? That's about the most comprehensive non-invasive testing you can do. Between that, a cooling system pressure test, and a cap test, you should have a lot of data. FWIW, in the shop world, you have what we called "married a bad deal" when you are trying to diagnose a multi-owner, last owner answers "idk" to every question, type car. The question quickly becomes is this thing worth your time to diag, or are you better off parting it out/start over with a different engine.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

20W50 in 30* weather? Isn't that way. To thick?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
20W50 in 30* weather? Isn't that way. To thick?
it probably is. but the idiots that did the change didn't tighten the oil filter so the oil was literally just leaking out.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad1995
Hey, I'm new here and this is my first post and unfortunately its not really a good one. I just bought a 99 firebird v8, and at the time of the purchase everything seemed fine. The car drove beautifully and shifted great. But when i got home, my friend told me that as i was pulling away at low rpms blue smoke was coming out of the exhaust. So i let the car idle and it seems like when you start it there is a bit of blue smoke but then it turns into white smoke and neither are good. Also during hard acceleration it blows blue smoke out of the exhaust. Any ides on what it can be? I really hope its not a blown head gasket. Also the low coolent light came on, so i decided to check if there is any in the car, when i took the cap off i saw coolent except it was very milky in color. And when i pulled out the dip stick it was only wet on the bottom and the whole stick looked like it had dried up sand on it, I dont think it was sand but just something of a similar color and texture. Any ideas on what it can be? I am taking a car to a mechanic tomorrow but i just want to see what you guys think. Thank you for all the help.
I don't know if its already been asked but did you check fluids before you bought the car?

Quick Reply: Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.