Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I "Retard" my cam...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I "Retard" my cam...

I am degreeing my cam and had a question on whether or not I should retard my cam or install straight up. Right now I have it degreed straight up and it is spot on what the cam card says. The only reason I'm asking is because I just ordered an S60 with 4.10 gears and was curious if I should shift the power a little more to the top due to the gearing? Just curious on what effects this might have on my setup and is it worth it. I know there is probably not one great answer, but any help would be appreciated?

Here's what I have:

LS1/T56, Stock 346 bottom end, 243 heads(hand ported), 230/238 - 600/603 112+3 cam, LS6 intake, long tube headers.
Attached Thumbnails Should I "Retard" my cam...-230-238-cam-card.png  
Old 03-30-2014, 09:22 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Have you checked PTV? If you're tight on the exhaust, you may not really even have room to retard the cam.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
Have you checked PTV? If you're tight on the exhaust, you may not really even have room to retard the cam.
No haven't checked PTV. We thought about that last night. I guess I should throw a head on and check it.

But, assuming I have good PTV, is retarding the cam say 4* going to make a big enough difference to notice. I really don't know what effects each degree of retarding the cam has on the power and at what RPM range would it take effect.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't retard the cam if PTV clearance is good. You will love that combo! The six speed makes up for a lot of that gearing.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Friggy
No haven't checked PTV. We thought about that last night. I guess I should throw a head on and check it.

But, assuming I have good PTV, is retarding the cam say 4* going to make a big enough difference to notice. I really don't know what effects each degree of retarding the cam has on the power and at what RPM range would it take effect.
It'll soften up the low end power and add more up top. I had my cam with a 235 intake duration on a 109ICL in my LS1, which will be similar as far as the IVC goes to what you're doing, and it did seem a little soft at lower RPM, but it was still fun. If it's going to see a lot of street miles, I'd leave it alone. Low RPM power in my opinion, is what makes a street car fun to drive.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
It'll soften up the low end power and add more up top. I had my cam with a 235 intake duration on a 109ICL in my LS1, which will be similar as far as the IVC goes to what you're doing, and it did seem a little soft at lower RPM, but it was still fun. If it's going to see a lot of street miles, I'd leave it alone. Low RPM power in my opinion, is what makes a street car fun to drive.
Yes, it is going to see mostly street miles. The only reason I was considering retarding it was due to the 4.10 gears. I was thinking I could afford to lose a little off the bottom with those gears, and shift the power a little higher up in the RPM range. I'll probably just end up leaving it. We're only talking a few degrees anyhow, and was just curious how big of a difference it would make and if it would be very noticeable.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Right now you're a 109 ICL, and with a mid 230's duration...that's a good combo IMO! My worry would be if you retard it, it will be too much of a dog with that much duration
Old 03-30-2014, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would ask the person who spec'd your camshaft.

That cam IMO will pull fine to 6500-6700rpm.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(Should I "Retard" my cam...?)
NO. I am sure there is a cam running RETARDED in the engine that runs good but I have seen it. They all seem to run better a little on the + side.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I would ask the person who spec'd your camshaft.

That cam IMO will pull fine to 6500-6700rpm.
I don't know who spec'd it, but could probably find out if I really needed to.

But thanks for the advice guys. I think I will just leave it straight up. It does have advance built in, and I don't want to end up with unused power above my target RPM range. I also don't want to end up regretting it if I retard it, and from the opinions it sounds like leaving it is the best situation.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kip Fabre
(Should I "Retard" my cam...?)
NO. I am sure there is a cam running RETARDED in the engine that runs good but I have seen it. They all seem to run better a little on the + side.
Try factory ls6, they are 118 lsa on a 120 icl

Quick Reply: Should I "Retard" my cam...