Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this line/hose for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is this line/hose for?

So when removing the LS1 intake, when I went to squeeze with my fingers, and not much force was applied, the rubber was so soft it practically fell apart and looks like this on the front by the throttle body and in the back behind the intake, so of course going to replace, but wanted to know what it is, do I need it are there any mods for this hose to hide or anything to that matter..

Im asking since I have the intake off and trying to do as much as I can while its off, any mods worth doing now I want to do.

Is this the "Air/EGR" mod that other do? or is that something else all together.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

pvc lines. Look into a catch can if you are trying to clean it up.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

So if I got with the catch can, does that mean I can eliminate some of those hoses in the back?

Is that the purpose of the catch can?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CubanGT
So if I got with the catch can, does that mean I can eliminate some of those hoses in the back?

Is that the purpose of the catch can?
The purpose of a catch can is to keep oil from accumulating in your intake manifold. The LS1 PCV system doesn't really do a great job of filtering oil out which why so many people run a catch can. If you decide to get one there is diagrams showing exactly how most people run them, and thus would replace your existing dry rotted rubber hose, for either newer ones or braided lines.

Usually if your car is modified much such as Heads/Cam etc.. it will build more crankcase pressure and more oil will actually accumulate. If you have ever noticed some people add filter oil caps to try to reduce the crankcase pressure.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

ok, thanks, so do I just search here in this forum for the catch can diagram? or is that else where
Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, thanks, so do I just search here in this forum for the catch can diagram? or is that else where
Yea theres plenty of diagrams on here if you search. Some vendors actually send a diagram with their CCs with recommendations on how to run them. You could also look into running a LS6 style PCV system as well. I always have to use google to find anything on here now just add LS1tech on the end of what your searching for then click more results. Seems to work way better for me than using the search feature.

Last edited by WS6ICK2k; 04-13-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post #70 pretty much covers everything
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Old 04-13-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Looking at post #70
post70

Seems im guessing I would go with the 2nd layout for the
Single catch can PCV system routing LS6 Valley cover, external PCV valve

Is that what you meant WS6ICK2k by "running a LS6 style PCV system as well"??
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looking at post #70 post70 Seems im guessing I would go with the 2nd layout for the Single catch can PCV system routing LS6 Valley cover, external PCV valve Is that what you meant WS6ICK2k by "running a LS6 style PCV system as well"??
Yes the ls6 valley cover option seems to be quite a bit more effective at preventing oil in the intake, even if you aren't running a catch can over the ls1 style. Are you still running the ls1 intake? The gen III external section should have specifics.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

im running, or going to run LS6 intake with stock TB(until I get bored and port and polish it) just got the LS1 off this weekend, so will work on getting the new intake setup and ready to go back in.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im running, or going to run LS6 intake with stock TB(until I get bored and port and polish it) just got the LS1 off this weekend, so will work on getting the new intake setup and ready to go back in.
Sounds like you're doing quite a few mods at one time. It's going to blow your mind after driving a stock car and jumping into that many mods lol. I still remember when I did my stall and headers, it was like a whole new car!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

yea, since we had to tear into it thinking it was a broken flexplate, figured it was time to make some much needed mods.

And since its been atleast 3 or 4 yrs now that we drove it, anything will be a HUGE improvement.

Im trying to make sure I do things once and not have to redo later since im already in there..

I was even considering a cam now that I have the upper motor taken apart, but that will have to wait for another time and more money.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A LS6 valley pan pcv is a waste of time, you will still get oil in the intake manifold. Plus you have to cut a piece off the engine block to clear the LS6 valley pan. And I know first hand as I have a 2001 ZO6. I now have a elite engineering catch can.

So just replace the oem pcv lines that are broken on your car and install a catch can to reduce the oil that gets in the intake manifold.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-14-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Yea I wasn't planning on moding the block to fit the LS6 valley pan. Just if there was any mods to do away with or clean up the broken lines I have..

Quick Reply: What is this line/hose for?