Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating only when sitting in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014 | 04:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Overheating only when sitting in traffic

Getting really frustrated here. Just changed the fans so i know its not that. Radiator was recently infected (took out and pressure tested and so forth). Coolant is full. But car is still overheating. And it only overheats when sitting in traffic. And if i am speeding, it seems to run cooler.

Any ideas?
Old 04-19-2014 | 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

What R U using for fan[s]?

Is this problem w/ your Yugo, or? Some details mite help.
Old 04-19-2014 | 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
What R U using for fan[s]?
Ummm...fans :/
Not sure i understand.

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Is this problem w/ your Yugo, or? Some details mite help.
04 GTO
Old 04-19-2014 | 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This happened to me on my 01 ws6 only sitting in traffic...after going through everything it turned out to be fan harness...hope this helps good luck
Old 04-19-2014 | 12:16 PM
On The Tree

It sounds like the fans aren't working, stopped=no airflow, driving=(X)mph air flow. You should let it idle with the hood open and see if the fan comes on should be around 190/200. Jack the front end up or park it on a steep driveway while your letting it get up to temp, if you drained the coolant there might be an air pocket in the engine as well.
Old 04-19-2014 | 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Either the fans aren't coming on or your cooling system wasn't burped properly when the radiator was reinstalled. Being super vague with your answers to pointed questions is really no way to get the help you need. When someone asks you to list more info and you don't even understand the question, "what fans are you using?" and the rest of your specifics include 04 GTO it doesn't really leave the participants of this thread with the impression you even know what's going on with your own car. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2014 | 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Either the fans aren't coming on or your cooling system wasn't burped properly when the radiator was reinstalled. Being super vague with your answers to pointed questions is really no way to get the help you need. When someone asks you to list more info and you don't even understand the question, "what fans are you using?" and the rest of your specifics include 04 GTO it doesn't really leave the participants of this thread with the impression you even know what's going on with your own car. Good luck. Hope this helps.
What do you mean what fans am i running???
They are the OEM fans that came with the car obviously! You want to know the brand name. They are called Gate 2. I don't see how that is going to help but if it does then good.

I don't know what info you guys need. The cooling system consists of
1) Coolant
2) Radiator
3) Thermostat
4) Temperature sensor
5) Water pump
6) Fans
7) Gauge

I've already said that the coolant was full and the radiator checked and the fans replaced. The thermostat and gauge are obviously working. What's left? The water pump?? I am sorry, let me give not extra info...i haven't done anything to the water pump.

Anyway...thanks for your input. Air being trapped in the system makes the most sense. The LS1 is a bi*** to bleed.

Last edited by Freefallin; 04-19-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2014 | 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freefallin
What do you mean what fans am i running???
They are the OEM fans that came with the car obviously! You want to know the brand name. They are called Gate 2. I don't see how that is going to help but if it does then good.

I don't know what info you guys need. The cooling system consists of
1) Coolant
2) Radiator
3) Thermostat
4) Temperature sensor
5) Water pump
6) Fans
7) Gauge

I've already said that the coolant was full and the radiator checked and the fans replaced. The thermostat and gauge are obviously working. What's left? The water pump?? I am sorry, let me give not extra info...i haven't done anything to the water pump.

Anyway...thanks for your input. Air being trapped in the system makes the most sense. The LS1 is a bi*** to bleed.

Hmm . . . replaced old fans with "brand-new" OEM fans . . . Full radiator and coolant checked . . .

It sounds to me like the fans may not be coming on, at all.

Since the Fans are New, did you verify that they are running, at all ? If not, obviously, electricity is not reaching them . . . Why ?

(1) Bad Wiring / Ground
(2) Bad Relay
(3) Blown Fuse
(4) Computer issue
(5) Bad Sensor

If the Fans ARE running . . .

(6) Running at full speed ?
(7) Both running ?
(8) Coming on at proper Temp ?

OR

(9) Clogged Radiator
(10) Air Pocket in Cooling System
(12) Collapsing Radiator Hose
(13) Water Pump
Old 04-20-2014 | 02:40 AM
On The Tree

I had this issue, it ended up being a bad thermostat. If you haven't already swapped to a 160 deg t-stat, now is a good time to do so.
Old 04-20-2014 | 05:49 AM
On The Tree

When it overheats on the gage, does it have heat inside the car? If the heat output is low or none I would suspect poss w/p.
Old 04-20-2014 | 06:09 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

This section is called generation III internal engine.

That means discussions in this section are about cranks, rods, pistons, etc.

When you post a question on LS1tech, it needs to be in the correct section and it needs to contain details about what car and year you have, any mods and any work you've already done to fix it.

Following these simple guidelines will result in more and better responses from the LS1tech community.
Old 04-20-2014 | 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
This section is called generation III internal engine.

That means discussions in this section are about cranks, rods, pistons, etc.

When you post a question on LS1tech, it needs to be in the correct section and it needs to contain details about what car and year you have, any mods and any work you've already done to fix it.

Following these simple guidelines will result in more and better responses from the LS1tech community.
You are right Paul! Trust me, I've spent more than a considerable amount of time trying to post this in the right forum, and then decided to go with this forum as i felt this forum is closest to where my issue belonged..even thou my issue doesn't "exactly" fit the name of the forum. But nonetheless, it is the closest.
My logic was since overheating happens "inside" the engine, it should be in this forum.

I think there should be more forums in this site since a lot of times you would have an issue and not find the correct forum for it. For example the other day i wanted to post on a retro fit e-fan for the condenser (wiring). The best forum i could find was stereo and electric...a forum obviously intended for stereo systems. But then the post was about wiring, hence the "electric" part...but not reall :/

So yeah...sometimes its just difficult choosing where to post.
Old 04-20-2014 | 08:26 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I gotcha BUT

You still don't say what kind of car this is.

If it was a Firebird, it would've been best posted in the Firebird section.

Camaro, GTO, Corvette, etc. In those sections are people with the same car as yours and will no doubt have the experience and advice more specific to your car.
Old 04-20-2014 | 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can't believe no ones said this yet... but start the car and put the a/c on! If the fans don't turn on you've got an electrical issue.

If they do turn on, it could still be an electrical issue, but you know its not:

1. Wiring
2. Fan motor
3. Fuses
4. Relays

Now after you verify the fans pop on with the a/c turned on, try to bring it up to temp and see if they kick on at 200ish.

If they don't, it could be your coolant temp sensor or a pcm issue of some kind. If they do turn on and they're not cooling it enough it could be:
1. Water pump
2. Hoses
3. A clog somewhere
4. Thermostat
5. Radiator cap.. (if it doesn't hold pressure it can cause issues)
There's quite a few things it could be man, you 100% should verify that your fans are indeed running though..
Old 04-20-2014 | 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by SlasherVRGR
There's quite a few things it could be man, you 100% should verify that your fans are indeed running though..

Start with this...none of this other stuff matters if your fans aren't coming on...

Find someone with a scan tool that has bi-directional controls and have them activate the fans...if they come on, start with the other stuff...

You never really said why you changed the fans out in the first place...
Old 04-20-2014 | 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I gotcha BUT

You still don't say what kind of car this is.

If it was a Firebird, it would've been best posted in the Firebird section.

Camaro, GTO, Corvette, etc. In those sections are people with the same car as yours and will no doubt have the experience and advice more specific to your car.
So, with a general "overheating" problem, what section should be have posted it in on LS1Tech ?

There are basic causes for overheating in any vehicle . . .

So, is this an "internal" problem, an "external" problem, an "electrical" problem, a "PCM" problem ?

If he had posted in the "General Maintenance & Repairs" forum that, theoretically, only deals with "Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds" per the Forum Main Page.

It's difficult to post a "general" problem in a "specific" location, when there are so many possible causes.
Old 04-20-2014 | 02:02 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I think it's pretty simple. Post a question about your car in the section that's about your car.

I'm sure the crank, rods, pistons or oil pump isn't the OP's overheating cause.
Old 04-20-2014 | 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it's pretty simple. Post a question about your car in the section that's about your car.

I'm sure the crank, rods, pistons or oil pump isn't the OP's overheating cause.
No, but the Block or Heads might be . . .

Quick Reply: Overheating only when sitting in traffic