Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block machine question?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Block machine question?????

Hi guys I have a 72 chevelle I'm doing a ls1 swap I was wondering is there any shops that don't cost a arm and a leg to clean up block?.... Here's my situation I bought a 98 ta ls1 2 rod bearing were spun so I bought a new crank bought too new rod all new bearings now I let the motor sit on the side of my garage for about a year. Now I'm ready to rebuild there is some surface rust on just the crankshaft that was brand new? What should I doo- last time I spun a bearing my my camaro and got the machine work done they quoted 500 to return crank rod ends hone boil block when I went to pick up block they actual cost was closer to 850 just in machine work!!!!! So I don't wanna deal with shady machinist who change prices after it's done. Few questions
1. Where would you guys recommend me to go in the valley or Bay Area?
2.since I have new crank and rod bearing etc. is there any way I can clean block up myself and remove surface rust on crank without altering the specs enouph to throw off?
3. Deos anyone doo this in there garage if so how can I?
4. I was thinking spraying vinager on crankshaft or possibly clr are these bad ideas?
5. Was wondering if I was to go to a machinest how much SHOULD they charge? What is a fair price?
Thanks a lot for reading my post guys and thank you for any positive feedback
Old 04-23-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im goimg to get mine refreshed it at csm in suisun city! But im payin close to 2k with parts...
Old 04-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

The 850 on machine work was strictly machine work, zero parts!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:55 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVELLEPOSSE
1. Where would you guys recommend me to go in the valley or Bay Area?
2.since I have new crank and rod bearing etc. is there any way I can clean block up myself and remove surface rust on crank without altering the specs enouph to throw off?
3. Deos anyone doo this in there garage if so how can I?
4. I was thinking spraying vinager on crankshaft or possibly clr are these bad ideas?
5. Was wondering if I was to go to a machinest how much SHOULD they charge? What is a fair price?
Thanks a lot for reading my post guys and thank you for any positive feedback
2. You can usually clean up the block at a local car wash, but check to make sure. Some won't be happy to see someone washing an oily blocky in their stalls. As far as rust, if it's on the journals or cylinders, the machine shop will have to take care of it. They can hone the cylinders and polish the crank. Both operations are probably needed anyways.
3. No, not with the rust on the machined surfaces.
4. Bad idea.
6. A fair price depends on what they actually had to do. $850 sounds a little steep, but I wouldn't know unless you can list what operations were actually done. One local shop here charges about $950 to refresh and rebuild a shortblock with new rings and bearings, but that's starting with a relatively clean rust free shortblock and no spun bearings.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply kcs, my last motor I took it all apart gave to shop they sent out the crank to get returned rods returned changed cam bearing hone and hot tub block decked oversize bearing put it all in a box and I picked up and reassembled
Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Here's the thing I had got these rods balanced and bought a new crankshaft but from sitting in garage crank got the surface rust. Whill I have to have the crank returned or is their another name for what I need and am I basically just gonna have to get all the same work as last time?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I would search for a well known local machinist with a good LS reputation. I found a guy about 30 mins away from me (west palm beach FL), who charged me $240 to hot tank, rehone cylinders, polish crank, touch up rod big ends, check mains (nothing needed), and he even threw in a free front cover.

I dont know your area, but I'd keep looking. Find someone who has the time to talk specifics on what work is being done, and get it in writing when you drop your stuff off.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Just there for info thanks for the reply that would be more then perfect haha!!!
I'm in Nor. Cal. Bay Area but am willing to travel to the vAlley but that's a great post last time I got machine work done there was no written contract stating what was to be done and pricing I will definetly do that this time so I don't get twice the bill after it's all done.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

To the top I'm still looking for machine shop in nor cal guys

Quick Reply: Block machine question?????