Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad rasp on turbo exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad rasp on turbo exhaust

I just had an exhaust put on my car after running the down pipe for a few months. I loved the sound of the down pipe, the cops around here didn't. We disagreed and after several fines I went to a shop to have one made. It sounds great until you hit about 2500rpm. It has a nasty rasp after that, almost tinny sounding. Any ideas would be appreciated. Current setup is 2.5 piping no cats, ran to a flowmaster out to 3' duals with tips. Pictures attached from passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails Bad rasp on turbo exhaust-0504141138.jpg   Bad rasp on turbo exhaust-0504141138a.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Launching!

A flowbastard will sound like pure butthole on a turbo motor.

Also...2.5" piping...i'm not a fan...talk about a major restriction to push through for a turbo V8.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fubar569
A flowbastard will sound like pure butthole on a turbo motor.

Also...2.5" piping...i'm not a fan...talk about a major restriction to push through for a turbo V8.
The down pipe from the turbo was 2.5 so I mated it up to that. Figured there was no point in making it bigger than the pipe it was connected to.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Launching!

I mean with a good gate it wouldn't ever have the chance to creep but that kit is leaving some good power on the table using 2.5"...at least you made it as free flowing as you could...

...til you got to the muffler. flowmasters don't flow all that well. they drone like mad. with no cats they will always rasp pretty bad.

I had a dynomax on my Talon TSi AWD and it did not even come close to soundinglike a typical ricer fartbox. very smooth and mellow sound overall.

I welded up my own 4" spiral muffler for my 97 7.3 PSD and it again is a very mellow sound compared to all of these aftermarket cans.

I'd look at something straight through design and get away from a chambered muffler if you want to try to clean things up a bit.

Quick Reply: Bad rasp on turbo exhaust