Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heard loud crack on first torque of heads with GM bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I know it's junk to the point I would never sell it but if it will last this summer and get me by I will be happy.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
I'm qiute certain that most on this forum would call that block JUNK !!!
I simply would not run that. Sorry for your loss.......
I agree. The block is probably cracked next to the cyl sleeve. If this is the case, thats pretty much all she wrote for this engine. Damn man I feel for ya.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by twinnedfox
Oh I know it's junk to the point I would never sell it but if it will last this summer and get me by I will be happy.
You'll be happy if it lasts the summer? I doubt it'll last a few hours (sorry!) Looking at your pic in post 18, I would say the block is scrap and you shouldn't continue with the build.

While head studs aren't needed for mild builds, using studs on these aluminum LS blocks eliminates the possibility of this happening.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman
The popping is considered normal. It is more likely, and more pronounced with ARP bolts.
Have to add my experience. New cast iron 6.0 block, 799 heads. I used the ARP bolts. I used the ARP thread cleaner (11mm) and ran it thru the bolt holes several times, started to get worried that I might wear out/damage the threads. Anyway, I applied the ARP Ultra Moly and proceeded to torque the bolts. They creaked and groaned, mild popping. Finished one head, late last night, and today I called ARP. They never heard of the bolts making a popping sound, but he indicated that the noise is thread bind due to dirty threads or inadequate lubricant. So today, I cleaned the bolt holes, on other side of the block, numerous times, sprayed in brake cleaner/carb cleaner and installed some shop towels to absorb the cleaner. Tomorrow or Friday I will blow out the holes, add more cleaner, blow them out again and apply a generous amount of lube and see what happens. I will post an update. Some additional FYI, the old instructions state to torque the M11's to 70 ft lbs and the M8's to 24 ft lbs. The new instructions ,with the Ultra Moly, state 75 ft lbs for the M11's and 25 ft lbs for the M8's. The ARP tech said to use the newer torque values.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry about your block OP. When I put in the ARP head bolts on my heads/cam swap, there was no popping, creaking, or noise whatsoever. I spent several hours on cleaning the holes, the ARP thread cleaners, paper towels to soak up fluid, blowing air into the holes etc. I would have pulled it all apart if I had heard any noise as at all.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't count the number of times I've thought something was wrong with my engine. Simply. Finish bolting up the rest of the stuff and give it a try. If its broke, then oh well.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im glad I run ARP studs
Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 427ls7hci
im glad i run arp studs
that^
Old 05-10-2014, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by george88gta
Have to add my experience. New cast iron 6.0 block, 799 heads. I used the ARP bolts. I used the ARP thread cleaner (11mm) and ran it thru the bolt holes several times, started to get worried that I might wear out/damage the threads. Anyway, I applied the ARP Ultra Moly and proceeded to torque the bolts. They creaked and groaned, mild popping. Finished one head, late last night, and today I called ARP. They never heard of the bolts making a popping sound, but he indicated that the noise is thread bind due to dirty threads or inadequate lubricant. So today, I cleaned the bolt holes, on other side of the block, numerous times, sprayed in brake cleaner/carb cleaner and installed some shop towels to absorb the cleaner. Tomorrow or Friday I will blow out the holes, add more cleaner, blow them out again and apply a generous amount of lube and see what happens. I will post an update. Some additional FYI, the old instructions state to torque the M11's to 70 ft lbs and the M8's to 24 ft lbs. The new instructions ,with the Ultra Moly, state 75 ft lbs for the M11's and 25 ft lbs for the M8's. The ARP tech said to use the newer torque values.
The Op's **** popped because there was fluid in the hole and once the bolt created a hydraulic situation the aluminum casting was the weak link. Your situation I'm betting is not at all related to the threads but rather the sound of galling and interference at the head and washer. That is why ARP suggests to thouroughly clean the bolts and washers to remove the anti-rust crap thats on them during packaging. Most people mistake that stuff as lubricant and just leave it on. Once cleaned and the ARP moly on the threads; the correct thing to do is put EPL (extreme pressure lubricant) on both sides of the washers and then notice how much smoother the torquing process is as the Ft/Lb setting will now be measuring true fastener stretch as opposed to rotational resistance.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
The Op's **** popped because there was fluid in the hole and once the bolt created a hydraulic situation the aluminum casting was the weak link. Your situation I'm betting is not at all related to the threads but rather the sound of galling and interference at the head and washer. That is why ARP suggests to thouroughly clean the bolts and washers to remove the anti-rust crap thats on them during packaging. Most people mistake that stuff as lubricant and just leave it on. Once cleaned and the ARP moly on the threads; the correct thing to do is put EPL (extreme pressure lubricant) on both sides of the washers and then notice how much smoother the torquing process is as the Ft/Lb setting will now be measuring true fastener stretch as opposed to rotational resistance.
Good info. The second head went on much smoother. Several more passes with the thread cleaner and I made sure I could run each bolt all the way down by hand. A good cleaning, which included letting the bolts and washers soak overnight in lacquer thinner, folllowed be compressed air and lots of the Ultra Moly and there was only a couple of bolts that had a slight pop. Rechecked the torque, good numbers and no additional pops. Guess I will quit while I am ahead.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have studs now but back in the days when I had bolts I would tape a 8" section of 3/16" brake line to my blow gun to clean them out.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I took my motor out. Put it on a stand, and flipped it upside down. All the coolant was removed via gravity. I then used ARP thread chasers to clean out any gunk. The ARP bolts threaded in with no problem.
The following users liked this post:
Dopeydinerdog (03-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Heard loud crack on first torque of heads with GM bolts