Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 cam swap

How hard is it for a novice mechanic to do a cam and spring swap in a 98 c5 I'm looking to save 1000 dollars installing my btr stage 4 cam. Any input is great iv worked on some ls trucks
Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to ls1 how to.com

It's pretty easy, I recommend to degree the cam in..

Just keep everything in order, ziplock bags and sharpie.. Use a quality torque wrench and you'll be fine.

Hardest part is moving everything out of the way to slide the cam in and out..

You can use pen magnets to hold the lifters up, while swapping the cam!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is quite time consuming. Your options are to either pull the engine, pull the steering rack out, or (definitely not recommended) drop the cradle while supporting the engine. Those are the only ways you are getting the crank pulley off. Valve springs aren't too bad if you have the air hold kit and a decent spring tool- I have the trick flow one and like it.

You will also need to bleed the power steering system and brakes when you are done as you will be tearing those apart as well.

If you don't have a decent tool selection, don't have a lot of patience, and don't have a decent amount of technical ability this might not be the job for you.

It is very much doable by yourself if you have someone to lean on for help/advice and any tools you may need. Just a FYI you will probably end up spending $200ish just in tools.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

From a guy who just did a c5 cam swap this weekend, i must say there is a little bit of misinformation. You should not have to bleed any brakes. You wont be touching any of your braking system. Powersteering yes, brakes no.

You also do not need air to hold up your valves unless you already have it. If you are like me, you can do the TDC method and do the springs for each cylinder that is at TDC. I did it this way, and the valve can only drop just a hair, it stays up enough to lock the retainers in place with the valve.

Many people also use a 5/16 dowel to hold up their lifters. (dont use a smaller one....i did and I dropped a lifter, but i was able to get mine back and put it in without pulling the head)

Once I saw that my lifters stayed up on there own with no dowel, I didnt worry about it....i took my chance and was fine they stayed in place with oil friction.

Any questions shoot me a message.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your best bet is to read up on LS1 how to and do as much searching on here as you can in relation to doing a cam swap on a C5. Like the guy above stated, it's going to be different than doing a cam swap on a 4th gen F-Body. Just make sure you keep things organized, like others have stated.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Your best bet is to read up on LS1 how to and do as much searching on here as you can in relation to doing a cam swap on a C5. Like the guy above stated, it's going to be different than doing a cam swap on a 4th gen F-Body. Just make sure you keep things organized, like others have stated.
This was the first time I have ever done a cam install on a LS or a corvette for that matter. I think if you are at all mechanic inclined, you should have no issue.

Be prepared to use a lot of 10mm, 13mm, 15mm
I could do it again pretty easy now that I have done it once. Heck I swapped out my water pump 3 times. The last time the other day I did the waterpump and intake manifold in hardly any time at all.

Give it a go....any issues just holler.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Oh...and I also used the Tims tools for valve springs. I was frustrated with the thing at first, but once I got the hang of using it, it was great.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the hardest part in your guys opinion? And how long would you guys anticipate it taking me ? And all I plan on removing as far as body goes is the hood
Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

so how did you get the steering rack out of the way without pulling the ABS module? I have done several cam swaps on C5's and don't see where there is room to do so.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

None of it was really super hard. If anything mine was maybe putting the steering rack back in place, but it wasnt hard.

The ABS block just set there in place held by the lines. There is a bracket that holds it..take that bracket off and the ABS will just hang there in place.

Quick Reply: C5 cam swap