Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

use stock fuel injectors or bump up after mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
We offer brand new 36#+ and also resizing and flowmatching services for less $$$ than a brand new set. The best thing on the resized are everything is new as far as o rings, filters and baskets and they are guaranteed good with verified spray pattern.
Let us know if we can be of any help!
===================
Can you pm or explain to me here what it means to resize? are the injectors serviceable? would I just send my set and get mine back? Besides cost, what would be the benefits of having the service done on mine vs getting new ones? Besides the injectors, what else would you need to perform the service?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We just need the injectors. Besides price they would be flow matched and direct fit obviously.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

We just need the injectors. Besides price they would be flow matched and direct fit obviously.
======================
Can you PM me cost and specifics on what would need to happen? Since these are stock injectors, with I believe over 120k miles on them, is the service worth it or buying new better option.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Pms sent!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Who does the resizing? Is it FIC? Or Deatchwerks?

I have Bosch EV14s (the new design Bosch - and the best for these cars) from FIC. Flow-matched. 52lbs. They actually are easier to tune that most 42s and FIC provides the flow data in an Excel spreadsheet so you can just copy in with HP Tuners or EFI Live.

I went with them because of the spray pattern, ease-of-tuning, and I needed LS2-type EV6 injectors for the FAST 102 manifold. FIC threw in the EV1-to-EV6 electrical adapters for free. They come in the LS1, LS2, and LS3 configuration/lengths, so they'll work on whatever you plan to do.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Default Injector Sizing

Originally Posted by CubanGT
Also how to determine the right size. Is there some form of calculation to determine.
HP x .50 divided by # of injectors(8) x 80% (recommended). Using formula, 42# injectors @ 80% good for 537 hp------85% @ 571 hp. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 80% rule is a steaming pile of bull. Besides scanning equipment not accurately reporting duty cycle many guys with actually quick cars are finding benefit to running about as small an injector as possible, mostly at low speed and launch.

You need bigger injectors when AFR is going lean and the fuel pump is maintaining pressure and therefore not the cause of the low fueling.

There are guys running 500rwhp NA on 30lbs injectors.

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 05-16-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

BSFC and quite a few other factors such as fuel distribution etc go into fuel injector sizing but caprice we all know your train of thought on this and while I will say most of what you said isnt accurate, most combinations are over-sized on injectors.
As long as you reach your target afr AND are under 85% duty cycle, you are safe. If you can properly use your fuel system then you can use a smaller injector than what most people think is the norm. V6 engines take a much larger injector to produce less power. 4cyls same way.
Would someone care to explain that?
For most applications a 60#+++ injector is not needed and the people give the bs excuse about safety or room to grown when in fact they have no idea how to properly use their fuel system.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Alot of the accel injectors are an older design so be careful. The disk style can cause idle and tuning issues esp over the pintle style.
I think the set I have are the newer design, but I'll have to check the box when I get home. Tuner said he didn't have any issues, and the car idles good.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Alot of tuners will hack the tables just to make an end result. I am not saying yours did/does, but you would be surprised at what you can get to idle good with only half the proper tables being touched.
There are quite a few styles of injectors to stay away from due to tuning issues, but some tuners just swear by them. I have no idea why. Some recommend 60# for everything unless it has boost then its 85#.
I have seen cars idle somewhat decent with no change to the ifr tables but running 42/60lb injectors because the fuel tables were raped to hell.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Alot of tuners will hack the tables just to make an end result. I am not saying yours did/does, but you would be surprised at what you can get to idle good with only half the proper tables being touched.
There are quite a few styles of injectors to stay away from due to tuning issues, but some tuners just swear by them. I have no idea why. Some recommend 60# for everything unless it has boost then its 85#.
I have seen cars idle somewhat decent with no change to the ifr tables but running 42/60lb injectors because the fuel tables were raped to hell.
Good info there for sure. Appreciate it. The car is going to get a full re-tune here soon. It's running really lean, like 17's when cruising on the highway. When I step into it though, AFR goes down between 14 and 15.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

On some of the tunes, the tuner will turn off ltfts and use a wideband only to tune then leave them off. That doesnt bode well with me because if something fails or doesnt report correctly then the computer will never know and wont compensate. Spark plugs can lose their effectiveness over time and cause a decline In fuel trims and unless you adhere to a schedule, they can cause issues that again the computer would never know. That is just one example.
if anyone has access to their tune and wants a second opinion, I will look at the tune for free, but only look. And give a brief overview of what I see.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Applying more/consistent voltage to your fuel pump not only will help the output of the pump but can also lengthen its life span. If your pump or fpr is on its way out, no size injector will help you in the upper rpms.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Applying more/consistent voltage to your fuel pump not only will help the output of the pump but can also lengthen its life span. If your pump or fpr is on its way out, no size injector will help you in the upper rpms.
Would doing this cause fuel pressure to read higher. Mine is at 65.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It likely would not. It will possibly increase the flow of the pump but volume output and pressure are not related like that. Normal ls pressure is 55-60 psi.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

My gauge shows 65 at idle and drops some during heavy acceleration.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Maybe this would be better discussed via email instead of taking this thread so far off topic.
Feel free to pm me or email.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

BSFC and quite a few other factors such as fuel distribution etc go into fuel injector sizing but caprice we all know your train of thought on this and while I will say most of what you said isnt accurate, most combinations are over-sized on injectors.
As long as you reach your target afr AND are under 85% duty cycle, you are safe. If you can properly use your fuel system then you can use a smaller injector than what most people think is the norm. V6 engines take a much larger injector to produce less power. 4cyls same way.
Would someone care to explain that?
For most applications a 60#+++ injector is not needed and the people give the bs excuse about safety or room to grown when in fact they have no idea how to properly use their fuel system.

The pcm reported duty cycles are not necessarily accurate, therefore assigning a maximum duty cycle based on inaccurate numbers is foolish at best.

Such thinking does not help sell parts though.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well then why do we trust the computer at all?
Such passive finger pointing does no good for your stance either.
I dont say these things to sell parts. I tell them to inform. You arent informing or giving facts, just heresay and banty rooster babble. Prove it. Then maybe people will believe you. Otherwise it is still only your opinion which i still disagree with.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:00 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyway, I ran a Racetronix and Hotwire kit and 42# injectors. 77% IDC at WOT in the Camaro (460/420). Geoff said it was damn near perfect.

Quick Reply: use stock fuel injectors or bump up after mods?