Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 Build....Cam Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 Build....Cam Swap

Hello, first I want to say that I'm 17 and I'm looking to do my first LS build. I've got an 2000 GMC Sierra single cab 4.8 2wd with 101,000 on it. This truck is clean and bone stock. I'm looking to do at least a cam swap, exhaust, and maybe a tune first to it so it'll sound bad when I drive it to school my senior year. I'm not looking to build a drag truck out of it, just a decent daily driver around 400hp. My question is, what would be a good cam to use that it wont loose bottom end, and that I can use with the stock valve train. I want the cam to hit hard and have a good choppy idle. I'm just unsure of how much lift I can push into the stock valve springs. I've seen guys using LS6 valve springs because you can get a set for next to nothing and they're good to .550 lift. I've been looking at a TSP 224/224 .581/.581 112Lsa cam. Would this work with the stock valve train? If not, what all would I have to do to ensure this cam works? Or is there any other better cams out there that'll give me what I'm looking for?
Let me know, Thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2Wagon
Hello, first I want to say that I'm 17 and I'm looking to do my first LS build. I've got an 2000 GMC Sierra single cab 4.8 2wd with 101,000 on it. This truck is clean and bone stock. I'm looking to do at least a cam swap, exhaust, and maybe a tune first to it so it'll sound bad when I drive it to school my senior year. I'm not looking to build a drag truck out of it, just a decent daily driver around 400hp. My question is, what would be a good cam to use that it wont loose bottom end, and that I can use with the stock valve train. I want the cam to hit hard and have a good choppy idle. I'm just unsure of how much lift I can push into the stock valve springs. I've seen guys using LS6 valve springs because you can get a set for next to nothing and they're good to .550 lift. I've been looking at a TSP 224/224 .581/.581 112Lsa cam. Would this work with the stock valve train? If not, what all would I have to do to ensure this cam works? Or is there any other better cams out there that'll give me what I'm looking for?
Let me know, Thanks

You are way way off base here.
Cammed 4.8l is going to lose lowend, smaller displacement makes a given cam act "bigger", you put a normal aftermarket 5.3l cam in it and the 4.8l will be more "peaky".

The fact you are considering reusing stock springs on an aftermarket cam says you are getting your info from decades outdated sources. I would sooner upgrade to aftermarket springs on a stock cam than run stock springs on an aftermarket cam.

The best advise anyone can give you now is forget the engine mods. Especially with a 4.8l things like gears and stall will be required first.

I did stupid stuff like putting a cam in my car with stock stall and such when I was younger, no need for you to repeat that mistake.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS2Wagon
Let me know, Thanks
Look at our web site we are a sponsor here cammotion.com look at 4.8 stock drop in cam section you will see what you can get away with. If you put in a 224/224 it will be TO BIG.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you going to continue to use your truck as a truck? If so, you need to read this to get a grasp of what the others are telling you. Compare cylinder pressure to torque/horsepower gains and losses at 2500 rpm and you will start to get the idea.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...st_comparison/
Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen guys using LS6 valve springs because you can get a set for next to nothing and they're good to .550 lift. I've been looking at a TSP 224/224 .581/.581 112Lsa cam. Would this work with the stock valve train?
Think about it. The springs are good for up to .550 lift and the cam has .581 lift...what does that tell you about that combo?
Old 05-21-2014, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Kip has some very nice drop in solutions for small displacement truck engines and if you want to keep stock springs they will be your ticket.

To get a choppy idle though you may have to go bigger and that will require valve springs and push rods.

If you're wanting to keep the stock stall converter I have done cams for 4.8 trucks with the stock stall and the biggest cam we've been able to get away with and still drive like stock is a 215/215.

Even that is on the big side for a 4.8 truck. I think a lot of people over cam these small engines. Especially in trucks.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You are way way off base here.
Cammed 4.8l is going to lose lowend, smaller displacement makes a given cam act "bigger", you put a normal aftermarket 5.3l cam in it and the 4.8l will be more "peaky".

The fact you are considering reusing stock springs on an aftermarket cam says you are getting your info from decades outdated sources. I would sooner upgrade to aftermarket springs on a stock cam than run stock springs on an aftermarket cam.

The best advise anyone can give you now is forget the engine mods. Especially with a 4.8l things like gears and stall will be required first.

I did stupid stuff like putting a cam in my car with stock stall and such when I was younger, no need for you to repeat that mistake.
You hit it right on.. Dont ever use stock springs with an aftermarket cam. And the bigger the cam the more bottom end you will use

Quick Reply: 4.8 Build....Cam Swap