Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Opinions Wanted

I've got a 2002 Z28 M6 that I'm looking to do H/C/E on. I live on Oahu which means there is no drag strip (don't really care too much about 1/4 times anyways). The car currently has 125k miles on it (~100k on the motor). Strong oil pressure, no funny noises, doesn't smoke, doesn't use oil. I'm looking at something in the vein of a Streetsweeper HT (when the time comes and the rest of the pieces have been chosen I'll get a custom grind from Martin, Ed, PatG, or Brian Tooley). THIS IS NOT A MAX EFFORT BUILD! I'll be keeping the stock bottom end, LS6 intake, P/S, P/B, A/C. I'll likely be using a TSP 1 7/8 LT and Catted Y setup into my GMMG for the exhaust side. Where I'm really torn is trying to determine whether I'm better off coughing up an extra $1k for a set of Brian's hand ported TF 220s or if I'm better off saving the money and picking up a set of the PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads. The eventual Idea is a forged bottom end and an F-1A setup, but that is YEARS away (4+). Opinions?
Old 05-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Conventional wisdom is power is made in the cylinder heads, so spend your money there. Then get a cam spec'd to match the flow characteristics of the heads.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Default Not Max Effort?

if this is not a max effort than You'll need to explain in more detail Your goals so people can help You.
if You say Not Max Effort id wonder if You have seen what some of the cam only cars can do? if not try doing a few cam only searches.
Ask Yourself if headers,cam,intake,exhaust,and Stall will be enough if not and only then would i personally look at the rest
Old 05-25-2014, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Can't help you much with your question but I live on oahu as well and I have a 01 z28 and a 98 formula. What are you looking to use the car for?
Old 05-25-2014, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MadFirehawk86
Can't help you much with your question but I live on oahu as well and I have a 01 z28 and a 98 formula. What are you looking to use the car for?
Street driving. I'm looking for as much as I can get out of a stock bottom end while staying Street able. As long as I'm not bucking and shuddering at low speed (it spends most of its time at low speed with lots of stopping - I commute a whole 3 miles across MCBH to work every day) I'm OK. Don't care about MPG or the 1/4. I would also like to keep an eye towards the future when I get off this Island (more cubes and FI).
Old 05-25-2014, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Firehawk, now that we have to get RECONS for our cars, do they care about big lopey cams and aftermarket heads? I'm a white guy in the military so I sure as hell don't get the local hookup lol
Old 05-25-2014, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SlowBurn
Firehawk, now that we have to get RECONS for our cars, do they care about big lopey cams and aftermarket heads? I'm a white guy in the military so I sure as hell don't get the local hookup lol
Same here lol. From my understanding, the only things they tend to request a RECON on is safety related things like suspension modifications, brakes, removing air bags and aftermarket lights and of course leaks. I have been asking around as well because I too plan on throwing a small cam in both of my LS!s.

They will not fail you for a lopey idle. That would be ridiculous if the shop failed for that because its not a "safety" concern. I recommend that you get your safety check done at the Schofield Barracks hobby shop...just be sure to not have tint because he will tell you to rip it off.

My car has a magnaflow cat back and long tube headers he didnt say anything about that and I only failed because of the tint on my backglass.

Just to give you an example of my plans. Im going to go with the 228R from Texas speed and a little ol 2500-3000 stall converter just to keep things tight for daily driving. You are lucky that you have an M6. Both of my cars are auto. Im going with such a small stall because like you I just want to have a little bit more power and I dont want to drag race the car and I definitely dont want to have to rev my car to 4000 rpms just to get it to move lol I hate the feeling of a "slipping" transmission for a daily driver.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

After talking to Alan at BTR, I am SOLD on his TF220's. What a hell of a deal for everything you get with those heads!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

1/4mi. track open 2 months ago in Campbell industrial park.running 1/8mi. for now.Ill be at Wendys kapolie cruise night sat. night if you need more info.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 35th SS
1/4mi. track open 2 months ago in Campbell industrial park.running 1/8mi. for now.Ill be at Wendys kapolie cruise night sat. night if you need more info.
Very cool. Thanks!

After calling around, I have decided I will be getting a set of Brian's touched up Trick Flow 220s. Thanks for the input guys
Old 06-02-2014, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

You can't beat Tooley's heads. I have used him for many years on my builds. My V will get a set of Tooley massaged heads when I finally get settled in HI. I'll be moving back to Kaneohe in late July.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted