Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats causing Freeze plugs to deteriorate internally????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
What is causing my freeze plugs in my heads to deteriorate internally that they will start to leak coolant? First was my front pass side head a few years ago and now something is leaking again and it may be the driver rear head freeze plug as its dripping onto the exhaust. When I took off the the front freeze plug off of the passenger head, the inside looked like it was deteriorating slowly over time. Well something slowly ate the metal away and it finally starting leaking. The car had dexcool but since the leaks I've just been putting in distilled water. Is dexcool that bad to deteriorate metal? I thought even distilled water is ok to run as it has no inpurities that are bad. Now what sux is I may have to replace all the freeze plugs to eliminate any more issues. But I need to fix what is eating up the freeze pluge first or it may happen again over time. I am the second owner for about 10 years and do my own maintenance on the 99 ws6 and it only has 85000 miles on it.
LS has aluminum parts and brass freeze plugs. If the engine is steel or iron dex will eat it like acid. I put it in a new sbc. 7 months later everything was leaking. Even ate through the neck of the thermostat housing.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,411 Posts

Dexcool is run in thousands of iron block LS engines all the time with no issue. They come from the factory with it.
I have a Tahoe with 190k miles on it, running Dexcool all its life with no leaks.
You have other issues.
The following users liked this post:
01CamaroSSTx (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

^^^ This ^^^

Dex will leak in a traditional small block. It goes right through the paper type of gaskets. (guess how I know this) It's completely fine in LS motors though, which were designed for it.

Usual reason for corrosion in / around engines is electrolysis. Dissimilar metals create a battery. The least electronegative element gets eaten; usually that's aluminum. Anybody with a boat has probably run into this, especially if it has any stainless steel on the outside. Usually it's not the iron or steel. Probably not the issue here although it may be a factor in the big picture.

I don't think a zinc will help this, although it certainly can't hurt either. In fact, the reason those "krome" water necks ALWAYS develop leaks, is BECAUSE they are a zinc alloy: they actually PROTECT aluminum engine parts by sacrificially eroding. Nobody seems to know that, but it's true. Which is what the radiator cap anode, or the zinc anodes you put on boat outdrives and such, will do to keep aluminum engine parts from corroding.

More likely though, the freeze plug problem is something else. Most likely it's acid in the system; tap water would be my guess as the source.

I have a LM7 with just at a quarter-million miles on it. Dex-Cool and distilled water for as long as I've had it, which is 11 years and starting around 60k or so. No problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by RB04Av:
01CamaroSSTx (07-23-2021), G Atsma (07-23-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 838 Likes on 641 Posts

I had Dexcrap gunk up in my overflow bottle. Swtiched to green.

My thought is hard water instead of distilled water could mess up freeze plugs.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dexcool seems fine until air gets in the systems then it seems to sludge up like crazy. I switched over to G-05 after I built my engine.

Quick Reply: Whats causing Freeze plugs to deteriorate internally????