Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Short Block VS LQ9 Short Block

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

Default LS2 Short Block VS LQ9 Short Block

Ola friends! Okay so my question is this, is the LS2 short block out of say a GTO as stout as the LQ9/5.3 short block? I know the incredible strength of the 5.3 but is it the same for the 6.0 as well? I'd like to do a 5.3 turbo build but I want an aluminum block and the gto has that along with the extra cubes. Will the LS2 hold up under boost as much as the 5.3 can or is this only true for the 5.3 truck engines with heavy duty rotating components? I did a few searches and could'nt find an answer so I made this post. Thank you in advance for everybody's time and sorry in advance if there is a post covering this I was unable to locate. Thank you!!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

LS2 has better rods than pre 03 5.3s. After 04 everything got better rods.

The crank, rods, and piston material is all the same between the 5.3/6.0, LS1, LS2, LS3. So they are all similarly stout. The difference is the block iron or aluminum, and Gen IV stuff requires different front timing cover/chain, a move of the camshaft position sensor, and relocation of knock sensors out of the valley/new valley cover. But generally, the 5.3 does well because it is iron and is cheap. You can also get the 5.3 in aluminum with the Gen IV.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

Default LS2 vs LQ9

Thanks for the info jake. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what my options are and what the best course of action is. I have a stock bottom end LS1 with a T78 going on soon. Should I leave the stock LS1? Should I put forged rods and pistons in it? Should I toss in a 5.3 or a low mile LS2 from a friend? I have a LS6 intake and a nice set of stage three ported truck heads and custom turbo cam in it now and plans call for 10 lbs of boost and 550rwhp. I'd like to squeeze 14-16lbs and 600+rwhp out of it later but I know the stock short block won't sustain that for long but will any of the other factory offerings work? The price for a used factory short block is quite abit cheaper than forging my LS1. Decisions, decisions.

Quick Reply: LS2 Short Block VS LQ9 Short Block