Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Motor Installed, Motor Not Running Correctly

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you individually checked correct spark output to each coil? I had a 347 forged block installed and the coils i purchased for it did not work....put the old ones back on and all was good....Also my engine wouldn't rev past 3500 rpm...After a serious search and the engine being pulled, we found that the crankshaft pin connector wasn't properly seated.....Also on Iron Gen 3 blocks aren't certain changes required to make it run properly in an f-body?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

http://lt1swap.com/2001_ls1_schematic.htm

Here is a handy link to the engine wiring schematics.

When I look at these, I see 1,3,5,7 injectors and coils paired.
2,4,6,8 injectors and coils paired.

1,4,6, and 7 don't have anything in common.

Clyde mentioned that it runs ok for awhile? How long?
It shouldn't have anything to do with closed loop. If you think that, put it in OL.

Have you had the PCM out of the car?

You can get another PCM. Clyde will have to license it, then apply his base tune. it's clunky, but can be done.

Can you have Clyde post the tune? I assume the PCM is what goes with the car, not the engine.

If 4 cylinders are really firing correctly, then the CPK is working, and the reluctor is correct.

I also think you guys need to try to log both the cam pulse and the crank pulses with HPT.

Ron
Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The cam sensor operates the tach. I think you have reluctor wheel problem. Good Luck wish I could offer up more.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the saga continues. Today I took the care to a local top notch ls1 guy that Clyde and I know he is well respected in the local LS1 scene. We check all of the same things that have checked numerous times grounds, voltage and continuity. We also checked the cylinders that were not firing 1,7,4,6, sometimes a couple of coils would have spark for a very short time then it would stop firing, same thing with the injectors no certain pattern injectors were check with the noid light.

Hooked up HPTuners, no misfires, all sensors were working properly, but the car still was not operating correctly. So at that point thought it was a PCM issue. We installed a PCM from another car that was running. Everything still operated as it previously was. So we scratched our head a bit, decided to install another computed and engine harness from another car. Hmm still the same thing.

We tried to inspect the reluctor wheel again, if you've ever tried to inspect it from the crank position sensor you know how hard that is and also know that the results are kind of mixed.

With that said he decided that the only logical explanation is that something has to be wrong with the reluctor wheel. A lot of people had suggested that that was the issue already. I guess that I just wanted to be 100% sure before I dropped the motor again. Sounds like I will be dropping it again this weekend.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama99z
Ok so here is the problem.

Through out our trouble shooting process we found out that cylinders # 1,7,4, and 6 are not firing at all ( checked with a temp gun as well as removing the plug wire and installing another plug to sheck and see if it was firing).
Thanks,
Eric
I'm not familiar with how the reluctor wheel may or may not be mounted, but thought it would be worth mentioning that 1, 7, 4, & 6, are every other cylinder in the firing order.... 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3.

UPDATE...just realized that in post #3, Chevy 406 had already mentioned this.

Last edited by gMAG; 06-25-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:41 AM
8 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1636628

Did you ever find this post?
Old 06-28-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1636628

Did you ever find this post?
Ron, yeah I've read this post. Heck I feel like that I've read evey post on here LOL. From everything that I have read and after speaking with numerous people ( a lot smarter than me ) the reluctor wheel is the only other thing that It could be. Clyde and I had a lengthy discussion about it last night. I should know for sure later on today as I removed the motor last night, got through about 3:00 this morning. Now I just gotta muster up the energy and want too and head back out to the shop.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Default Update

Well I removed the crankshaft yesterday, It appeared to me that the reluctor wheel was bent. So today I took a little ( 2 hr ) road trip up to Lunati for further inspection and repair. Sure enough once we put the crankshaft up in the polishing lathe and set up a dial indicator on the reluctor there is one section that measured a .090 bow in it. We replaced the reluctor wheel. All that I need to do now is work with the company that I purchased the rotating assembly from and get the parts needed to reassemble. I'm hoping that the 2 of us can work something out on the parts since the reluctor wheel is damaged. Do ya'll think that they have some responsobility due to there being a defective reluctor? I dont think that I should foot all of the cost. What's ya'll thoughts on the situation?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

The fact that certain cylinders aren't firing makes me think the reluctor wheel on the crank is off. Either for some reason the pins on some of the wheel aren't being picked up (worn, short, dirt, something) or the wheel itself is out of round. It doesn't take much to make it so that the crank sensor doesn't pick up the wheel at certain spots if their out of round or the wheel is partly warped.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
.09 bow, 900 of an inch is plenty to make the crank sensor miss the pulse. Like I said, it doesn't take much to get it off.

Sucks you had to pull the motor though. Hopefully the company will get you straightened out. It is not their responsibility for the fact that that crank was put together wrong by Lunati, but as the seller of the kit they need to own up and take care of you while getting with Lunati and handling any company to company issue for the parts.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Werewolf SS
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
.09 bow, 900 of an inch is plenty to make the crank sensor miss the pulse. Like I said, it doesn't take much to get it off.

Sucks you had to pull the motor though. Hopefully the company will get you straightened out. It is not their responsibility for the fact that that crank was put together wrong by Lunati, but as the seller of the kit they need to own up and take care of you while getting with Lunati and handling any company to company issue for the parts.

Good luck!
Yeah it does suck that it had to come back out. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end. Yeah I thought that they should of covered more than they were willing to. ( site vendor ) Their beef with the whole deal was that I purchased the crank about a year and a half ago. Obviously I am the only one that has to save up to build one of these. I agree that it has taken a while but I didn't have all of the coin at one time to complete it. Lesson learned!!!

Clyde all of my parts should be here by Thursday, time to get to wrenching ( again ) hopefully I'll have it ready to be tuned next week.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Default Update

Originally Posted by Bama99z
Yeah it does suck that it had to come back out. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end. Yeah I thought that they should of covered more than they were willing to. ( site vendor ) Their beef with the whole deal was that I purchased the crank about a year and a half ago. Obviously I am the only one that has to save up to build one of these. I agree that it has taken a while but I didn't have all of the coin at one time to complete it. Lesson learned!!!

Clyde all of my parts should be here by Thursday, time to get to wrenching ( again ) hopefully I'll have it ready to be tuned next week.
First of all I would like to start by saying thanks to everyone that has suggested what the problem is or was. It was the reluctor wheel!!! However after I removed and reassembled the engine this time it would still not crank and run it would only backfire. I took the crank to the manufacture Lunati and had them to reinstall the reluctor wheel, you would think that as many as they manufacture and install the reluctors on that they would know what they were doing, WRONG!!!. After inspecting everything and determing that the reluctor still had issues I finally gave up on it ( which is not normally in my nature ) and took it back to the same local guy And guess what Yep they had installed it 180 degrees out.

I called them up and of course they wanted me to send them the crank so that they could fix it. I told them thanks but no thanks since they already had 2 chances and screwed it up both times. I had the shop just fix it and be done with it. Car now starts up and runs decent. I gotta install the trans and exhaust this weekend and then have my tuner come back out and tune it.

At least it does run now. I guess the the moral of the story is check and double check, I've had to drop this engine 2 additional times because the MFG did'nt install correctly!
Attached Thumbnails New Motor Installed, Motor Not Running Correctly-reluctor-wheel-1-07.18.2014.jpg   New Motor Installed, Motor Not Running Correctly-reluctor-wheel-2-07.18.2014.jpg  
Old 07-18-2014, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Crazy but I did tell you early on to send it back, unfortunately it wouldn't have gotten fixed anyway. They have a rep for screwing the wheel install up.........insane if you ask me.

Oh by the way Congrats on following through and winning!
Old 07-18-2014, 01:26 AM
8 Second Club

Glad you got it running.
Hope Clyde tunes her up real good!
Ron
Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Crazy but I did tell you early on to send it back, unfortunately it wouldn't have gotten fixed anyway. They have a rep for screwing the wheel install up.........insane if you ask me.

Oh by the way Congrats on following through and winning!
RockinWs6, indeed you did sir. Glad I just let the other guys fix it .

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Glad you got it running.
Hope Clyde tunes her up real good!
Ron
Boy did he, For some reason I can't attach a video sorry. We still got a little work to do on it, as it was raining like pouring **** out of a boot here last night. Its about ready for a drive though, I had the front end aligned today .
Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Default Update

She's finally alive!!!

Old 07-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

thanks again for your write up I'm in the process of pulling mine out again so fix a bent reluctor
Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stangstomper68
thanks again for your write up I'm in the process of pulling mine out again so fix a bent reluctor
stangstomper68, Man I feel your pain pal mine had to come out 2 extra times. All that I can say is have someone that knows how to install it correctly with the proper tool to install it. I may have a couple pictures on my computer that shows it installed correctly if that helps. Also keep in mind that I was told by a Chevrolet technician that the max deflection is .025". And beleive me it does matter. If you need the pictures let me know.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds good with the exhaust connected. We should be able to hook up this Sunday afternoon and do some data logging to dial in the cruise and WOT. Glad to see that car out of the shop and running finally.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chevy406
Sounds good with the exhaust connected. We should be able to hook up this Sunday afternoon and do some data logging to dial in the cruise and WOT. Glad to see that car out of the shop and running finally.
Mr. C I couldn't have got it this far without your help and all of the help from the LS1 tech community.

Give me a call about Sunday when you get a chance.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Update on mine it lives. Installed the crank with new GM reluctor and how about that it starts just fine and runs smooth.

Quick Reply: New Motor Installed, Motor Not Running Correctly