Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014 | 12:39 PM

Default Real Main Seal

I have installed plenty of rear seals on 1st gen motors and all have taken a hammer and a fair amount of effort but I recently install one on my 04 truck 6.0 and I was literally able to push it in with only my fingers. I bought another brand seal from a another supplier and installed it and it went in just as easy. The first seal was a GM seal. Is this right?
Old 06-29-2014 | 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

I'd be curious of this as well, I'll be doing mine in a week, but won't know until I'm in there, so anyone's input would be obliged.
Old 06-29-2014 | 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's REAR main seal.

You're better off replacing the entire rear cover. GM part number 12639250 gets you the cover, gasket, rear main seal, and bolts. Guaranteed not to leak.
Old 07-01-2014 | 08:26 AM

Thanks grammar **** but what I really was asking is this the way the REAR main seal is designed? I have seen a few post where guys have mentioned that the rear seal goes in real easy but for it to push in all the way with just finger pressure seems wrong. This is a low mileage 6.0 and the old seal seemed to be in there like a normal old stlye sbc (took a hammer to get it out.) The engine is already installed in the my truck so I'm not really wanting to swap the entire rear cover.
Old 07-01-2014 | 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Ford seals are the same way. Old fashioned style seals have a metal lip, and the outside seal is metal on metal. That's the kind you pound in with a hammer and a block of wood.

New style seals have a rubber lip, and the outside seal is metal against rubber. Those are fairly easy to press into place with your fingers.
Old 07-01-2014 | 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275886

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...all-tools.html
Old 07-02-2014 | 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KillerZ
Thanks grammar **** but what I really was asking is this the way the REAR main seal is designed? I have seen a few post where guys have mentioned that the rear seal goes in real easy but for it to push in all the way with just finger pressure seems wrong. This is a low mileage 6.0 and the old seal seemed to be in there like a normal old stlye sbc (took a hammer to get it out.) The engine is already installed in the my truck so I'm not really wanting to swap the entire rear cover.
The entire cover solves ALL issues, including any type of problem you're experiencing with the seal installing too easily. Furthermore, replacement of the entire rear cover involves the same amount of work for access as replacing just the seal: flexplate removal.

Quick Reply: Real Main Seal