Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam retainer plates

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Cam retainer plates

I'm building a 408 out of a 2008 block. My original LS1 cam retainer plate had normal 10mm bolts the 6.0 block had a black plate with countersunk torx bit bolts. Is one cam retainer plate better than the other. I've never heard of a failure or anything but I was just curious if I should prefer one over the other. Thanks
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I'm building a 408 out of a 2008 block. My original LS1 cam retainer plate had normal 10mm bolts the 6.0 block had a black plate with countersunk torx bit bolts. Is one cam retainer plate better than the other. I've never heard of a failure or anything but I was just curious if I should prefer one over the other. Thanks
They both work fine, they redesigned the cam plate with the countersunk bolts for more clearance so the cam gear wouldn't clip a bolt...
Old 07-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

I sure like the old style better as the damn bolts never round out when trying to remove them like the later model plates with the counter sunk torx type bolts do!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check the rubber gasket. use the one not old/harder/flat
Old 10-29-2018, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this us the problem I'm having on my heads and cam swap. Didn't replace the plate. What do I need to remove to get to it?
Old 10-29-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Latshaw
I believe this us the problem I'm having on my heads and cam swap. Didn't replace the plate. What do I need to remove to get to it?
If you knew where it was you would not be asking this question. You remove everything needed to replace the cam, but stop once you remove the retainer plate.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer the old style plate, which is only available aftermarket.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you having oil pressure issues? What is making you suspect the cam plate?
Old 10-29-2018, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
If you knew where it was you would not be asking this question. You remove everything needed to replace the cam, but stop once you remove the retainer plate.
wondering if I have to take off crank pulley
Old 10-29-2018, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
Are you having oil pressure issues? What is making you suspect the cam plate?
did a head and cam swap. Didn't replace the plate. There's a tapping noise and a tiny leak. Starts at 50psi and slowly drops to 30psi after warm (continues to fall) when i rev the engine tge needle vibrates byt barley any increase in pressure. No problems before the swap
Old 10-29-2018, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

wondering if I have to take off crank pulley
Right.....
Old 10-30-2018, 02:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

We have both and with the tapered plate we offer a different design bolt with hex hole instead of torx which is easier to work with, install, and possibly later remove. It is shorter also for some that have issues with their stroker assemblies/pistons hitting the stock length or longer bolts.

We normally send all tapered plates with the bolts. They are included in every complete rebuild kit and our gasket kits upon request.

Honestly i think its a good idea to include them with every cam kit, but too many like to balk at any extra expense to be honest, they likely wouldnt pay the extra $20....but will pay over $40 extra normally for a different cam core...which is odd but personal opinion and somewhat whom is doing the selling.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Right.....
that's not an answer....?
Old 10-30-2018, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

that's not an answer....?
Dylan, if you had an inkling of how an LS is put together, you would not be asking the questions you are asking. LOOK at the front of your engine. Do you even know where the cam is??? If so, imagine pulling off every part in the way of replacing it. To get to the cam, you pull the timing cover. To do that, pull the crank damper.
Do a little homework, read some books, actually LOOK at your engine instead of asking the ignorant questions you are asking.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Dylan, if you had an inkling of how an LS is put together, you would not be asking the questions you are asking. LOOK at the front of your engine. Do you even know where the cam is??? If so, imagine pulling off every part in the way of replacing it. To get to the cam, you pull the timing cover. To do that, pull the crank damper.
Do a little homework, read some books, actually LOOK at your engine instead of asking the ignorant questions you are asking.
lol you crack me up. People like you shouldn't be on this website. I know probably more then you do. I've done multiple rebuilds. By the way. This is were beginners go to when they want help learning how to fix the engines. Nobody reads books. Stop with the ignorant replies and grow up. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol you crack me up. People like you shouldn't be on this website. I know probably more then you do. I've done multiple rebuilds. By the way. This is were beginners go to when they want help learning how to fix the engines. Nobody reads books. Stop with the ignorant replies and grow up. Thanks.
I probably know as much as you do. BUT I was gullible to your stupid-*** questions, thinking you ARE actually that big a dumbass. I wasn't far off...
BTW, you should see my bookshelf. And I actually USE it. For reading, even. So knock off the superior attitude, *******.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

I probably know as much as you do. BUT I was gullible to your stupid-*** questions, thinking you ARE actually that big a dumbass. I wasn't far off...
BTW, you should see my bookshelf. And I actually USE it. For reading, even. So knock off the superior attitude, *******.
Haha wow making a fool out of yourself. Thanks for the laugh. Have a good one. Enjoy your bookshelf.

Quick Reply: Cam retainer plates