Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First LQ4 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LQ4 build

Hey guys first post here, I just picked upa entire lq4 for 500 bucks i want to rebuild it and put down about 650 hp to the wheels with a turbo on a decent boost level that i can turn up for more power later if i feel the need its gunna be a street engine on 93 ,I say engine cause i havent decided on a car i want to put it in right now its between a few like a z3 or rx7 gen 3 a older camaro like 70s or mb 3rd gen or 350z lol the engine has alumuinum 317 heads on it are they a good head for my goals i have a budget of sorts im in no rush to put it together but i dont want to maximize parts to their limits to get the goals but i also dont need to break the bank to under utilize parts that can handle and make way more power then ill ever use on the streets im looking for a happy medium

Thanks for any advice
Old 07-22-2014, 03:53 PM

I applaud your optimism. However there are some issues I see.

First, 650 WHEEL horsepower. This is a big number. LQ4 with boost can def do it. However don't even think about using a stock 317 head. You'll need something that flows ALOT.

650 Wheel Horsepower is not a happy Medium. Considering you have no idea what its going in, where did this number come from? Your goal should have the car in mind. If its in an older Heavy car.. its much different that 650 Wheel horse power in a super light z3.

Work out the details. Think about your goal. And by goal I don't mean an arbitrary Horsepower number. I mean what you wanna do with the CAR. 650HP is useless unless the car around it is designed to handle it. Suspension, Rear end, Transmission. Everything has to work together to make that huge investment worth while. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:53 PM

I applaud your optimism. However there are some issues I see.

First, 650 WHEEL horsepower. This is a big number. LQ4 with boost can def do it. However don't even think about using a stock 317 head. You'll need something that flows ALOT.

650 Wheel Horsepower is not a happy Medium. Considering you have no idea what its going in, where did this number come from? Your goal should have the car in mind. If its in an older Heavy car.. its much different that 650 Wheel horse power in a super light z3.

Work out the details. Think about your goal. And by goal I don't mean an arbitrary Horsepower number. I mean what you wanna do with the CAR. 650HP is useless unless the car around it is designed to handle it. Suspension, Rear end, Transmission. Everything has to work together to make that huge investment worth while. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 PM

Yea i know and what ever car i do decide to put it in is going to have the necessary modifications to handle the power and be able to put the power to the road .By happy medium I mean the parts that will be used like i don't what to buy heads that would be better used in a 1200 hp application and be barely tapping their limit only pushing 600 or so but i don't want to have the cheapest heads and ect trying to push every horse power out of them. Thats what i mean by that and the number is just ideal goal really like i have so 1000 hp 540 big block supercharged in a racing boat only running 3 psi so idk I kinda am use to it lol and have driven like 450 hp car and want a little more kick in the pants. My over all goal is to have a reliable dd that can get up really go when i want and take to the take mb once or twice a year not many close to me,

So after all that what kinda parts should I start hunting for i was looking at the LSA heads I heard they would fit not sure but are built better then the l92 is that correct ?

Last edited by The Rookie24; 07-22-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do this with ported 317 heads or l92 heads. Obviously one is easier than the other to hit this goal and one is cheaper. The nice thing about l92 heads is they flow great out of the box and the intake manifold is a lot cheaper. I would suggest a forged bottom end for reliability or at the very least Gen4 rods with upgraded rod bolts. Don't discredit stock parts too much in not being able to achieve what your looking for.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get better answers in the FI section. 650whp is no sweat as long as the rest of your set-up, fuel, tune, etc. is good for it. Bone stock 317 heads have been over 1000rwhp.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM

ive read issues about the heads lifting any validity to that issue ? I do plan on all forged internals or mb jus rods and pistion heard the cranks are pretty bullet proof for the most part
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

650whp shouldn't lift the heads. Forged rods and pistons and head studs should handle that no problem. Again, a good tuner is pretty important here though.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 AM

yea im going to have to find one does anyone know a good one on long island that does not cost a arm or a leg
Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 AM

also the lq4 is a 2003 out of a chevy express van 3500 if that makes a difference

Quick Reply: First LQ4 build