Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help oil on spark plug thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help oil on spark plug thread

Hey I have a 98 camaro SS m6 86k just a cai catback and gears and about 2k miles ago I did a spark plug Change to ngk tr5ix and Bosch wires And well my car ran great for about 10 miles then I started to notice a slight pop at idle every 10-20 seconds. And with my ac on the idle stays normal but the car gets really shakey and also if I'm in a higher gear around 1100-1500 rpm the car bucks horribly but if I put my foot to the floor it stops immediately. Today I pulled the drivers side plugs and there was a bit of oil on the threads... now I don't have any blue smoke coming from my exhaust nor do I have any oil consumption. I put new autolight double platinum plugs in on my drivers side just to see what it'd do and it did the same thing it ran good No slight pop at idle it didn't buck until I got back home it started doing it again... But what confuses me the most is my stock plugs had no oil on them at all when I took them out I'm just at a loss for what it could be... Cause other than that the car runs great
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like 02 sensors. Once the car reaches the temp to go into closed loop it is having the problem. Then when you go wot it clears because the car no longer looks at the o2s during wot.

The oil on the threads is prolly leaky valve seals
Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

If you still have them, put the stock wires back on and see if it improves.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

that engine has perimeter valve covers which are prone to leaking. could be running down into spark plug hole.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Teching In

I don't have the stock wires but what wires would y'all recommend and i replaced my o2 sensors already with the Bosch ones should I try other ones or what I've also cleaned my maf and put in a new fuel filter! And should I be really worried about the oil? Any suggestions to fix if?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

You're supposed to apply oil or anti-seize to spark plug threads. It's what's on the spark plug on the inside that matters. Did you apply oil or something when you did the spark plug change?

Was it you that did the plug change?

You did a spark plug and wires change then the engine started running poorly. No doubt it's the parts or their installation that's causing the poor running condition.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Teching In

I applied anti- seize on them but this was oil... I'm doing my LT header install next weekend I was gonna change all the plugs again what wires would y'all recommend? And I hit the coolant temp sensor by the first plug on the drivers side and broke it with the wrench but I replaced it
Old 07-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Teching In

I am also not getting any ses lights or codes
Old 07-26-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdadddyz28ss
I applied anti- seize on them but this was oil... I'm doing my LT header install next weekend I was gonna change all the plugs again what wires would y'all recommend? And I hit the coolant temp sensor by the first plug on the drivers side and broke it with the wrench but I replaced it
The anti-seize is just a grease base (oil) and once it heats up it will look like oil. That is probably what you see on the plugs and unless the tips are fouled not an issue. If this started after the change I would do as previously suggested and try the original wires. I had a lot of issues with my MSD wires and eventually pulled them off the car in favor of the GM wires.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I recommend what I consider the best wires-zero Ohm wires from the good folks at Granatelli Motorsports. It might be more than you wanna spend but it'll be the last set of wires you'll ever buy. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grn-28-1545s

Davis Unified and Moroso also make nice wire sets. Stay away from what's normally stocked at places like Pep Boys and AutoZone. Don't consider Taylor.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sparkwirez06
that engine has perimeter valve covers which are prone to leaking. could be running down into spark plug hole.
Check valve covers i got the perimeter valve covers too. Oil on mine also. I wouldnt worry about it. As long as no oil on the tips.

Quick Reply: Help oil on spark plug thread