Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight valves for ETP Heads? Please chime in on my H/C/I combo

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Lightweight valves for ETP Heads? Please chime in on my H/C/I combo

Hey all, I keep going back and forth on what I want to do for my h/c/i build. I have a set of freshened ETP 215's on my bench with Patriot Gold springs individually shimmed to 155lbs on the seat, titanium locks and retainers, and Manton pushrods spec'ed for LS7 lifters and GM MLS gaskets. The heads have been surfaced and given a clean bill of a health by a very reputable SoCal machine shop.

The heads came with an Ed Curtis/ FTI Streetsweeper cam. 236/240, .629/.612, 110LSA.

I've heard that the ETP valves are HEAVY, like 120 grams each. Are heavy valves actually a problem if the spring pressure is sufficient? Has anyone installed lighter valve into ETP heads? I think the ETP's use a non standard length, correct? So I'd be looking at pricey one-off valves if I did go this route.

I'm relatively new to the LS game, and I keep seeings posts about Brian Tooley cams/ valvetrain setups, TEA ported 243's, etc. To say the least, I am thoroughly confused which direct to go in.

I want to make 460rwhp+ and not cut any corners, cost is less of a concern than reliability, quiet valvetrain, and driveability. Intended useage is 90% street, 10% HDPE events (maybe 5 per year), 0% dragstrip. I do have a large Setrab oil cooler w/ Improved Racing thermostat, as well as an Accusump.

Other pertinent info:
01 Z06, 3130lbs, production LS6 shortblock, 3.42's (factory), Fast 92 intake, 90mm LS2 T/B, stock rockers w/ trunion upgrade (the ETP heads came with custom rocker stands that allow use of factory rocker arms),
LG 1 3/4" longtubes, 3" xpipe, stock Ti catback
Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Hey all, I keep going back and forth on what I want to do for my h/c/i build. I have a set of freshened ETP 215's on my bench with Patriot Gold springs individually shimmed to 155lbs on the seat, titanium locks and retainers, and Manton pushrods spec'ed for LS7 lifters and GM MLS gaskets. The heads have been surfaced and given a clean bill of a health by a very reputable SoCal machine shop.

The heads came with an Ed Curtis/ FTI Streetsweeper cam. 236/240, .629/.612, 110LSA.

I've heard that the ETP valves are HEAVY, like 120 grams each. Are heavy valves actually a problem if the spring pressure is sufficient? Has anyone installed lighter valve into ETP heads? I think the ETP's use a non standard length, correct? So I'd be looking at pricey one-off valves if I did go this route.

I'm relatively new to the LS game, and I keep seeings posts about Brian Tooley cams/ valvetrain setups, TEA ported 243's, etc. To say the least, I am thoroughly confused which direct to go in.

I want to make 460rwhp+ and not cut any corners, cost is less of a concern than reliability, quiet valvetrain, and driveability. Intended useage is 90% street, 10% HDPE events (maybe 5 per year), 0% dragstrip. I do have a large Setrab oil cooler w/ Improved Racing thermostat, as well as an Accusump.

Other pertinent info:
01 Z06, 3130lbs, production LS6 shortblock, 3.42's (factory), Fast 92 intake, 90mm LS2 T/B, stock rockers w/ trunion upgrade (the ETP heads came with custom rocker stands that allow use of factory rocker arms),
LG 1 3/4" longtubes, 3" xpipe, stock Ti catback
If cost is no concern go with a solid roller setup and save the money on valves. If you want to stay hydraulic roller I would suggest a better lifter than a ls7 and go with a very mild lobe to help control the heavy valves.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:54 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ordering Mast 215's myself in the next few days, along with upgrades.

Honestly, Cary went to work for Mast (guy that designed the ETP 215's) so they're essentially the same.

Call Mast and just get the hollow stem valves and swap them. That's one of the upgrades I selected when spec'ing out mine, along with the upgraded springs.

And with a StreetSweeper and the ETP's, if you don't hit at least 480, something with the combo is definitely wrong.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like was said above...I'd be surprised if you didn't do 480+. ETP/Mast's are great heads.

I just did 466/427 with my 04z(Dynojet). Running RHS 225cc as cast heads and a similar sized cam to yours. My RHS's aren't in the same league.

The valve in my heads are not lightweight by any means, although I dont know what they weigh. I run a Comp 26926 Dual w/ Ti retainer and set the limiter to 6800. I dont have a spintron, but the motor spins to the limiter with no sign of trouble. Power is hanging on at 6800, not diving. I feel pretty comfortable with it so far.

However, if you can swing it, there are no downsides to a lighter valvetrain, especially NA. I wish I could've done it.

Post up results when you get them. Looks like a great combo.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The valves are longer and therefore heavier. They should be 5.450 long. If you run good springs you will be fine. New valves will require a valve job and cost more than good springs. You need better lifters either way.

Quick Reply: Lightweight valves for ETP Heads? Please chime in on my H/C/I combo