Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle?

So my 2001 Camaro ss seems to idle rough, really smooth cold but gets worse as it warms up, perfect once your off idle and accelerates smoothly, thought it was just worn plugs so I just swapped to new plugs and wires and still does it. doesn't have any codes or anything, looking for ideas of what to check, maybe fuel filter slightly plugged, dirty maf. motor mounts are ok, not new but not torn.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Teching In

I suggest starting with replacing anything tune up related parts that hasn't already been replaced ( fuel filter, PCV , plug's and wires) if that doesn't help or resolve your problem I suggest replacing your front O2 sensors and cleaning your throttle body and maf sensor. Also check to make sure your iac valve is moving freely and there is no carbon build up preventing the pinle from moving.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Teching In

didn't think of the iac, thanks ill try cleaning those components first see if it helps
Old 08-17-2014, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd find somebody that can scan it running with HP Tuners or EFIlive. You'll be able to spot lazy O2s, trims, MAP and stuff like that without just replacing parts.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Teching In

so changed the fuel filter and pcv valve, and cleaned the iac valve and throttle body.IAC had alot of carbon but after clean didnt help, may just replace it completely or find a scanner that i can moniter whats going on
Old 08-31-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

If if is temperature related, then here are a couple of things to check. Idle air temp sensor. Jumper it out with a 4800-ohm resistor to tell the computer it is 57 outside. If it still idles rough after the engine warms up, I would look at the water temp sensor, connector, or wiring.

The computer richens up the mixture during startup. If it doesn't read the water temp has heated up, it would continue to run rich after warming up, thinking it was still warming up. I've seen that on many non-LS vehicles. I'm not sure if there are two temp sensors (one for computer, one for dash, or if it's the same sensor with a split lead wire.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Teching In

its is not temp related, it will do it not right after it starts up but it will before it warms up, also noticed today if i slowly rev it it will continue through the RPM range, not just at idle. idk maybe ive got a weak coil or something
Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

PNYHNTR, welcome to LS1tech! BUT this is the internal engine section, pistons, cranks, rods, cams, not the place for your running and driveability issues.

Post these questions in the Camaro section: https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...-1967-2002-72/

Quick Reply: Rough idle?