Sponsored by:

Need help picking a cam for 2004 LQ4 for "offorad"

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil'John
SETUP:
Mostly stock LQ4 from 2004 Silverado 2500 HD swapped into 71 Toyota Land Cruiser with an NV4500 transmission. The rig is used as a daily driver and a rock crawler. No mud/sand... more "technical" wheeling.

Issue #1:
One issue I'm trying to solve with a new cam is what I'll call valve rattle at higher rpms 5k+.

Issue #2:
I'd like to squeak a little more MPG out of the engine. Yes, it has larger tires and the aerodynamics of a brick.

Goal is to keep low end off idle responsiveness while gaining a little bit of rev room at the top.

I don't mind sacrificing a little horse power to squeak more mpg.
It sounds like one of the big upgrades at the same time is springs(should take care of valve rattle issue)

Is it worth upgrading or replacing rockers and push rods? Motor has under 50k miles.
The intended use of this vehicle is daily driver, towing up to about 7k pounds, and non-abusive technical hard offroading. The offroading requires good off-idle responsiveness.

I've talked to some vendors and I'm now at a loss. So here are the contenders:
1) Tick Performance TowMAX Stage 1 : 208/216 | .561"/.561" | LSA113+4
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...4-lq9-engines/
2) Cammotion XA206/308-XA212/295-114+4 : 206 / 212 | .523" / .501 | 114 with 110 intake center line
Thanks for the recommendation. This appears to be closer to the 212/218 which looses some low end torque and fuel mileage.

So I'll pose the same question I did for the others: why would you pick this over a 206/212 or 208/216?

How does this 210/218 fit good off-idle responsiveness and ~7k pound occasional tow?
So I'll pose the same question I did for the others: why would you pick this over a 206/212 or 208/216?
Unfortunately, you just described the Tick Performance, Cammotion, and Brian Tooley Truck Stage 1 cams I was considering when I revived this thread and rules out the LS2/LS3 cams... so I'm a bit confused where to go.
Hello Lil' John,

You are very wise to use caution in choosing your truck camshaft. A heavy vehicle that needs low speed torque and gas mileage must be cammed carefully.

The factory truck camshaft does a very good job and delivering good torque right off idle while most performance camshafts tend to sacrifice low RPM torque and fuel economy in exchange for upper RPM performance.

The key to maintaining excellent power throughout the entire RPM range is carefully choosing the valve events.

The 206/212 duration at .050" on a 114 lobe separation that we suggested for you is designed to meet your exact criteria. It is not on our website because it is custom. The Tick camshaft that you listed will also be excellent for your application from a power range standpoint. The custom camshaft that we suggested will have have a little less overlap allowing it to maintain slightly better fuel economy.

Since you mentioned what sounds like valve float at upper RPMs, I would also recommend replacing your valve springs. Our truck camshafts are compatible with the GM Performance valve springs. These are inexpensive (about $70.00) and work very well in applications like yours. In addition, use of these springs would allow for a .550" lift camshaft which will boost your power and torque without any notable affect on fuel mileage.

For this setup, your factory pushrods will be fine.

Give us a call if you have any further questions or need help with your order.

~Steven
Old 04-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all who replied. Lots of good information and discussion.

I ultimately went with the Tick TowMAX Stage 1 with Brian Tooley platinum springs to handle the high-rpm valve rattle.

The lower overlap is what drew me toward it. My understanding is that the lower overlap will generate better lower rpm characteristics that I'm looking for.

For those who like pictures, here is the target of the cam:
Attached Thumbnails Need help picking a cam for 2004 LQ4 for "offorad"-roof57.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (05-04-2020)
Old 04-03-2017, 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks to all who replied. Lots of good information and discussion.

I ultimately went with the Tick TowMAX Stage 1 with Brian Tooley platinum springs to handle the high-rpm valve rattle.

The lower overlap is what drew me toward it. My understanding is that the lower overlap will generate better lower rpm characteristics that I'm looking for.

For those who like pictures, here is the target of the cam:
That is a great truck! I would rock that for sure. (pun intended )

Your cam and springs choice is excellent. I think you will love the results.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any review on your Tick Performance TowMAX Stage 1 208/216 | .561"/.561" | LSA113+4

Old 05-02-2020, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003stepside
Any review on your Tick Performance TowMAX Stage 1 208/216 | .561"/.561" | LSA113+4
Wish I had something to report so far. I'm fighting a tune for it and not having good luck with the tuner :/ Partially my fault in replacing the stock injectors with wrongly reported compatible injectors; ad claimed they were for 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0... turns out they are 8.1L.
The following users liked this post:
2003stepside (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

If you're running a stock lq4/4l80 tune in it about the best thing you can do is turn off the delay before it goes into pe mode. You will think you put a cam in it then.

Quick Reply: Need help picking a cam for 2004 LQ4 for "offorad"