Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lloyd Elliot 243 stage 1 flow numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, you'd be better off looking in the dyno or drag racing ET section to see what specific head/cam combos did. There are plenty out there for both AI and TEA.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was never looking for that info. I have a pretty good idea of the HP and E.T. numbers I will end up with. It was just a quick post of side by side comparison of flow on a cheap P&P.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

His point was you have NO IDEA what HP and ET numbers you will get if you are fixated on flow numbers rather than performance numbers. They are not the same.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
His point was you have NO IDEA what HP and ET numbers you will get if you are fixated on flow numbers rather than performance numbers. They are not the same.
Never said they were the same. Y'all are way over thinking this. I'm not fixated on flow numbers. I will build this car and see what exactly it will do. By your theory maybe cam profiles aren't worth discussing or intake flow, etc. It was just a simple comparison.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are going too far with your counter analogy. A cam profile is easily completely in detail measured.

A cylinder head is flowed at a steady opening which is NOTHING like what it sees in the running engine and the elastic nature or air and all that starting and stopping has a BIG impact.

Heads can be ported to flow more air on a flowbench but make a car slower, it can and does happen. Not saying you will see any such thing, I am sure what you have is a meaningful improvement, just saying a flowbench is not the measure of a head.

Flowbenches are easily manipulated too, us a larger radius on the clay at the inlet or maybe play with exhaust pipe length/diameter, or bore the head is flowed on. I have seen some "reputable" companies flow heads on bores that aren't readily available for the engine the heads go on. AFR even advertises flow numbers for one of it's LT1 heads flowed on a 4.125" bore, 4.060 is RARELY done on those with 4.030 usually considered the max.

Flow numbers are for advertising.

There are games to be played and they are played
Old 09-09-2014, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You are going too far with your counter analogy. A cam profile is easily completely in detail measured.

A cylinder head is flowed at a steady opening which is NOTHING like what it sees in the running engine and the elastic nature or air and all that starting and stopping has a BIG impact.

Heads can be ported to flow more air on a flowbench but make a car slower, it can and does happen. Not saying you will see any such thing, I am sure what you have is a meaningful improvement, just saying a flowbench is not the measure of a head.

Flowbenches are easily manipulated too, us a larger radius on the clay at the inlet or maybe play with exhaust pipe length/diameter, or bore the head is flowed on. I have seen some "reputable" companies flow heads on bores that aren't readily available for the engine the heads go on. AFR even advertises flow numbers for one of it's LT1 heads flowed on a 4.125" bore, 4.060 is RARELY done on those with 4.030 usually considered the max.

Flow numbers are for advertising.

There are games to be played and they are played

Haha in other words....marketing tactics
Old 09-09-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

I understand that but my heads were flowed by a friend, not where I bought them from and both were flowed under the exact same conditions. It is a comparison on flow. I will post up when I get HP and e.t. slips. Almost all of the test equipment we use is influence able. You keep stating things that most everyone here knows. I am just saying you shouldn't make a mountain of a mole hill.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to resurrect this, if I can. I had a few questions.

codyvette, are the heads installed yet ? Did you happen to take any photos of the ports ? What was LLoyd's treatment of the swirl ramp ? Were the heads milled ? Do you know what machine was used to cut the valve seats ? Is it a multi-angle cut or a radius cut ?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interested in seeing some results too.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most higher end shops I know of almost never use their flow bench
They are worked over then taken right to the track

+ and - to the large head theory
Old 11-21-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still no port volume?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

If anybody here ever had a LT1 car you would see 9/10 times the AI stuff runs faster at the track over the LE stuff. I never owned either, but this is what I noticed over the years with the LT1 crowd. Not sayin LE stuff does not perform, but again AI heads/cam setups seem to go faster.

Quick Reply: Lloyd Elliot 243 stage 1 flow numbers