Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS9 Cam in an LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS9 Cam in an LQ4

Has anyone here messed around with swapping an LS9 cam into an LQ4? I can get one CHEAP off of my tuner that came out of a brand new ZR1 and am wondering if it's worth it. Looking at spec.'s it seems to be the best LS stock cam, but I'm not too experienced with cam spec.'s so mayber it's horrible, haha, just wanting some input! I intend on going boost in the future as well, most likely a Procharger, and am aware of the different front cover and cam gear and what not, just looking at dollar signs right now.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Hot Rod did a comparison of about 6 different cams, I'm pretty sure ls9 cam was one of them. It was on a 5.3, but at least you can get a comparison.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike_hawk
Hot Rod did a comparison of about 6 different cams, I'm pretty sure ls9 cam was one of them. It was on a 5.3, but at least you can get a comparison.
Sweet! I'll try looking for it. All that I've found so far's just nonsense.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...n/viewall.html
Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody got some hands on experience with this cam and motor? Really wanna get some real proof on it. Seems like LS7 cam and LS9 cam are neck and neck, but I plan on going boost eventually and have the LS9 cam available so wanna go that route..
Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Ls9 cam seems to be a pretty popular mild cam and are cheap. Mrwhitels1 on youtube used one in a 13 ss camaro and a 5.3 i believe. Denmah has multiple videos of turbo cars runnnig ls9 cams and I pretty sure they both have been satisfied with the zr1 cam.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lsxdick
Ls9 cam seems to be a pretty popular mild cam and are cheap. Mrwhitels1 on youtube used one in a 13 ss camaro and a 5.3 i believe. Denmah has multiple videos of turbo cars runnnig ls9 cams and I pretty sure they both have been satisfied with the zr1 cam.
Well hell, he only made 18 horsepower with the cam swap into the SS. That's not very impressive..
Old 10-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Tru. But it is a relatively mild cam, I guess he was happy. If I was you I'd just try it out and if you don't like it just switch it out.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lsxdick
Tru. But it is a relatively mild cam, I guess he was happy. If I was you I'd just try it out and if you don't like it just switch it out.
I'm sure the original LS3 cam is much better than my stock cam though so I'm gonna try it out. I can get all the parts necessary for half the price of a name brand cam, if it doesn't perform, I'll just throw a bigger cam in.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:30 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm using a stock cam in my build, but I went with the VVT stuff. I would thing being able to alter the centerlines on the fly would be pretty interesting with a boosted application.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LQ4 Tank
Has anyone here messed around with swapping an LS9 cam into an LQ4? I can get one CHEAP off of my tuner that came out of a brand new ZR1 and am wondering if it's worth it. Looking at spec.'s it seems to be the best LS stock cam, but I'm not too experienced with cam spec.'s so mayber it's horrible, haha, just wanting some input! I intend on going boost in the future as well, most likely a Procharger, and am aware of the different front cover and cam gear and what not, just looking at dollar signs right now.
I have a front timing cover you are looking for and the cam gear with the sensor , all u need is harness extension

Quick Reply: LS9 Cam in an LQ4