Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall Deck engine in a 2001 Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tall Deck engine in a 2001 Fbody

Been looking for some definitive info on this and all I've found is that it is possible, but not really clear on what needs to be done to make it fit. Seems like it involves relocating a few accessories, a custom set of headers and modifying the mounts to allow the engine to sit lower.

Does anyone make engine mounts, or better yet, a "tall deck swap kit" that would allow me to install a tall deck engine without having to cut the hood or chassis? If not, how much work is involved in stuffing a tall deck engine into a 2001 fbody?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Maybe there is more to it than this but looking at deck height standard is 9.260" and tall is 9.720" Is there really that much of a difference in overall height between the two given the deck height difference is 0.46" ?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Maybe there is more to it than this but looking at deck height standard is 9.260" and tall is 9.720" Is there really that much of a difference in overall height between the two given the deck height difference is 0.46" ?
That's what I'm thinking - seems like it would be a direct swap for the most part, but I'd rather be sure. There's a thread on here from 2011:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...02-f-body.html

The one reply said they lowered the mount height of the engine by spacing the k-member down by 1/2", and had to use spacers for the intake manifold (because the taller deck moves the heads apart by about 1").

Looking in my engine bay it doesn't seem like a 1/2" rise in height would cause any clearance issues and I'm already planning to relocate the coil packs as part of this build so that won't even be a thing.

One other thing that I'm wondering whether or not dropping the engine's mounting position down would affect the drivetrain at all, as it would lower the tail shaft of the transmission.

Quick Reply: Tall Deck engine in a 2001 Fbody