Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: Comp Cams New Conical Valvesprings for LS Engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a set of 918 comp Springs fail within 6k miles of being installed into my car.

I would never buy anything from comp.

You're being polite, I'm not.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 231 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Funny thing that back when lobe technology for the LS was basically retro-fitting Big Block Ford cam blanks (.540"-.568" lifts) there were almost no 915/918 spring failures. Once the new wave of LS specific stuff began pushing .580"-.610" lift and maximizing the tip motion of a factory rocker: Beehives basically "tapped out"...............then quality dual kits became all the rage.
If I remember correctly, Comp switched suppliers from PAC to some outfit in Mexico for their 918s, which is when the failures started happening. The popular XER lobes didn't help matters, either.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert but maybe the failure came from the fact that you didn't use the proper valve spring locators. Although the springs do fit around the stock style seal/locator they fit awfully loose around it. Also being your spring broke right near the bottom pretty much confirms that in my mind Just a thought
Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by CITY GARAGE
I'm no expert but maybe the failure came from the fact that you didn't use the proper valve spring locators. Although the springs do fit around the stock style seal/locator they fit awfully loose around it. Also being your spring broke right near the bottom pretty much confirms that in my mind Just a thought
Maybe, but I don't understand how that would break a spring that quickly, nor how where it broke (actually it was top and bottom) would be confirmation of it. The other springs don't show any sign of distress, no weird wear, nothing. I would think if the installation was the root cause, something would show on the other 15 springs that were installed the same way.

I'm open to taking the blame, I'll be happy to learn something new if it is my fault, but so far nothing really makes sense except for a flaw in the material or heat treating.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

thinking out loud:
if the harmonic damper was not doing its job properly, would the harmonics be soaked up by the timing chain, or could they be seen by the first lobe on the cam...?

if the valve spring had a physical (metallurgy) defect, then the runaway harmonics might make it worse.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 413 Likes on 331 Posts

I have a freind that runs these springs on his dirt car ls motor. He puts them on a set of gmpp ls3 heads and runs it to 8kish rpm with a hydraulic cam even. Now i haven't been a fan of comp springs for quite some time. But he has good results with them.

Maybe op got a bad batch. Maybe something else goin on there. Weight of valve maybe....lobes to aggressive. Maybe even something like oil pressure not keeping the lifter pumped like it should be.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,364 Posts

Would be cool if one could know how many got sold, and how many failed? Likely a deep, dark, secret....

Quick Reply: Review: Comp Cams New Conical Valvesprings for LS Engines