Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 Questions

So I'm getting ready to do an LQ9 swap and am still figuring everything out.

I'm wondering what kind of power I could be making running Shorty Headers, A Cam made more for torque and a Fast 102 mm Truck Intake , Fuel Rails and Throttle Body and maybe doing some head work to the stock heads?

I want to build it as a 3-4 day a week car that's fun to drive and not to loud but where it's got a nice grunt to it without a crazy loud idle...

Also will I be able to fit a fast truck intake in a 72 el camino with a SS cowl hood? I am looking more for Low End Torque that gets off the line fast. Not planning on competitive drag racing or anything but definitely want it to be nice and quick off the line with the option of possibly Adding Twin Turbos later if I decide I want more power...

Any advice on parts would be awesome. Sorry for the Newb questions but everyone has different goals and plans and Im just trying to build a fun street car.

Thanks Yall

Last edited by Sonomajoe; 12-01-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do you want to buy the FAST intake? I would put the money into ported 243/799s instead. Is the blind intake swap a gen 1 thinking problem?
Old 12-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Teching In

I was asking about the fast intake really just because I found a good deal locally that came with their fuel rails and throttle body that's almost brand new.

I'm new to all this but I figured at that price it might be worth it. It's my first fast car. Always been a Toyota 22RE rock crawler guy with 70 +\- RWHP

I figured more air was a good thing I guess. And I have a buddy who has access to a machine shop to port and polish the stock heads. Trying to keep costs down for now as everything adds up, but I figured (rightly or wrongly) a FAST truck intake, TB and Fuel Rails would help with low end torque and quicker throttle response.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

My reading indicates it won't really help till 4500rpm.
If your friend uses the phrase "port and polish" I might not let him grind on them for free. If it is just your old school vocabulary fine but in a professional shop I would consider it an indication of possibly being decades behind in learning.
For low end I feel 243/799 heads smaller chamber and higher compression would be money better spent.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Teching In

I'm a total Newb to high power. Read my last post. My engine experience is all pretty much with a 22re which is easy as pie to work on and bullet proof as can be. It's my first time building a fast car... So for old school uneducated lingo...

I was hoping the truck intake would help more for that but I guess not... It was one of those ones where I saw a good deal and was going back and forth on getting it. It's $900 for intake, TB and fuel rails.

Good idea or bad idea? I was thinking if I added a turbo down the road it might be helpful...

And my buddy knows far more than I do... Mostly works on ford racing engines and would give me a hell of a deal seeing as we're buddies...
Old 12-01-2014, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

The FAST intake is great for big high rpm power. Not for what you want. Turbo can make the screw together joints leak.
The car guys poopoo the truck intake but it is nearly as good as the LS6 intake till rpm really climbs.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Ok. That makes sense. What would you recommend for beginning build?

If I just did cam and milled the heads and used intake of your choice what kind of flywheel hp and torque do you think I could make? Any other mods I should do at the same time that are inexpensive but worth it?

I'm trying to get it to be pretty darn fast but not to expensive... It came with a GM 290 HP 350 and want a nice upgrade from that....

Sorry for all the questions but I'm learning a whole new field. If you ever want to build a Toyota crawler I can help you with that...
Old 12-01-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonomajoe
Also will I be able to fit a fast truck intake in a 72 el camino with a SS cowl hood?

I don't know how a Fast intake compares to a stocker...but I run a 5.3L with a stock truck intake...fits under the stock hood of my 72 Chevelle wagon with the "Vortec" cover on it...

Originally Posted by Sonomajoe
I am looking more for Low End Torque that gets off the line fast.
Any advice on parts would be awesome. Im just trying to build a fun street car.

Thanks Yall

I far from an expert with this stuff...but, I think a stock truck intake will do what you want to do...save the $900.00 for a good cam, springs, upgraded fuel system, and suspension/traction mods to that Elco...
Old 12-02-2014, 01:06 AM
Teching In

"I far from an expert with this stuff...but, I think a stock truck intake will do what you want to do...save the $900.00 for a good cam, springs, upgraded fuel system, and suspension/traction mods to that Elco"

The first thing I did was Struts, Springs, Steering assembly, AGR Steering box, rear upper and lower control arms, trailing arms and trailing arm braces... Currently deciding between trutrac, posi and wavetrac....

And thanks y'all. Always awesome when you realize you can save some money here and there on a project!

Quick Reply: LQ9 Questions