Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been out of the loop for a while. Whats the Hot heads/cam package now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 581 Likes on 404 Posts

In a way I want to do a turbo build so bad looking at the power numbers but I want something I KNOW I can work on if need and easier to maintain so I'm go keep my car n/a and go to a big cube motor. Nothing like riding around in a tire frying torque monster.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
That brings to mind a topic I been thinking on for a long time. Wow, forced induction has gone crazy lately. We all want the knowledge that we spent our money effectively, and the sensation and joy when we hit the go pedal. But, satisfaction and acceleration comes in many forms, no one way is right. So, weigh your options. For me, I love power all the time, I love simplicity, and I love being bold. I don't want a bottle to fill, I don't want a mile of pipe under my hood, and I don't want something that could pass off as stock. So for me, ultimate satisfaction would come from a high compression big cube motor with a wicked cam lope and an open cutout making you deaf when you hit the gas. So, I will go against the grain and stay NA!
+1

plain and simple.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
That brings to mind a topic I been thinking on for a long time. Wow, forced induction has gone crazy lately. We all want the knowledge that we spent our money effectively, and the sensation and joy when we hit the go pedal. But, satisfaction and acceleration comes in many forms, no one way is right. So, weigh your options. For me, I love power all the time, I love simplicity, and I love being bold. I don't want a bottle to fill, I don't want a mile of pipe under my hood, and I don't want something that could pass off as stock. So for me, ultimate satisfaction would come from a high compression big cube motor with a wicked cam lope and an open cutout making you deaf when you hit the gas. So, I will go against the grain and stay NA!
But its depressing when you blow 6k+ on a big cube stroker motor, and some little ****** with a $1000 Ebay turbo setup blows your doors off with a stock 4.8...

I always wanted to toss together a budget .060 over 6.0, gen4 4.8 crank/rods, and L92 heads. Then throw one of those $1300 Individual throttle body setups on with a nasty cam. Should easily rev to 7500 and If it's sound your after, those ITB setups make some serious muscle music!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sure, build your H/C combo to learn and hope most of it is still usable when the short splatters. Then progressively build larger til you have that "don't **** w/me" sound that a nasty N/A mill has. Eventually when family, home, and vacations begin to depleat your fun cash, you start to think how you can get all that power for less with only giving up the crazy camshaft sound.
The LS is such a great design and it still amazes me that a single BW S480 can have a junk yard engine owner in just about any chassis looking for a parachute to hang off the back . Then you pull up to the E85 pump, not C16 like some 14:1 engine needs, and drive your thousand horse hooptie anywhere cuz now it doesn't draw Officer big fist's attention and probably knocks down 20 mpgs by accident.
The best part of this whole transition is that not if but when it throws **** out the pan, you now laugh because it's a six hundred dollar trip to the local scrap yard instead of ten grand where your car sits in the garage for the next 3-5 years. Eventually the wife begins to tell you to sell it to make room for her mini van....
Old 12-19-2014, 09:53 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have nothing useful to add, but damn Shale, I'm purple from laughing so hard. That was SPOT ON!!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Absolutely whole heartily agreed. NA HP is the most expensive kind. But, a serious dose of reality is needed before you sink the big bucks. You need to know your budget for one, and second know your goals. If they jive, roll with it. If they don't, then find a scenario that does. And, Its not like the guys just bolt on a junk turbo and motor and make 1k HP. Their cars are more complicated then that (finicky combos, meth injection, big dollar fuel systems, more complicated tuning, more upkeep etc). Nothing about going fast reliably is cheap or simple, idgaf which route you take. So, knowing this goes back to personal satisfaction, do what makes you happy. I love hearing my car bust off after sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks, its music to my ears. And, this little na 346 stomped two dyno verified 750+ hp vettes last time at the track. All 3 cars in street trim on drag radials. No shame in having an NA slightly lower hp setup especially when it makes you happy...
Old 12-24-2014, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Sure, build your H/C combo to learn and hope most of it is still usable when the short splatters. Then progressively build larger til you have that "don't **** w/me" sound that a nasty N/A mill has. Eventually when family, home, and vacations begin to depleat your fun cash, you start to think how you can get all that power for less with only giving up the crazy camshaft sound.
The LS is such a great design and it still amazes me that a single BW S480 can have a junk yard engine owner in just about any chassis looking for a parachute to hang off the back . Then you pull up to the E85 pump, not C16 like some 14:1 engine needs, and drive your thousand horse hooptie anywhere cuz now it doesn't draw Officer big fist's attention and probably knocks down 20 mpgs by accident.
The best part of this whole transition is that not if but when it throws **** out the pan, you now laugh because it's a six hundred dollar trip to the local scrap yard instead of ten grand where your car sits in the garage for the next 3-5 years. Eventually the wife begins to tell you to sell it to make room for her mini van....

Damn...I wish I would have penned that...
Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
You are a poet

( death to minivans... tell wifie that tyre-shreading car retains a person's youth )
Old 12-25-2014, 12:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
You are a poet

( death to minivans... tell wifie that tyre-shreading car retains a person's youth )
I love my mini van! Look how useful this thing is!

Just need to keep the other toys on the side

Old 12-25-2014, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow....who knew Ff 86 had a C5.....very cool.
And that mini van with it's accessories is hilarious.

Quick Reply: Been out of the loop for a while. Whats the Hot heads/cam package now?