Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock LS1 Cam options and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by snowhunter87
We planned on running a big trans cooler, i figure the colder the better right? What kind of shift kit would I be looking for? Preferably I would rather cam this motor while is out of the car on the stand an clean, then a year down the road. Also, same goes with the trans, i'm just new to auto's, i have had a 4 speed and now a 6 speed in my 69. Thanks for your input fellas.
Trans go makes a nice shift kit. Also would not hurt to go with a deep pan with cooling fins. If the auto you have is low mileage I would not be afraid to run it with a cam only LS1 with short wot blasts and cruising. The key is if this is a auto cross setup where the car is going to see high rpm for longer periods of time then it still might be a good idea to have it gone through. You might contact a FLT or RPM and see what they recommend.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a good lookin convert! I'm more of a hardtop guy but I got respect for everyones tastes... I wish I could talk him into a m6 over the a4 but he's set on it. I'm assuming you did the cam, pushrods, and springs on yours correct? Any other mod's you'd recommend for that motor having one?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

The driver of the car is only going to be autocrossing because I told him it's a great safe place to learn the limits of his car. That was part of our deal on me building the car, he had to autocross it so he would learn to safely control, throttle down/up, brake, and stop his car.
I think for the first year or two he will probably be ok running it stock but as his comfort level rises with the car, he may need to look at a trans build down the road to hold the higher revs for sustained track use, correct?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Thats a good lookin convert! I'm more of a hardtop guy but I got respect for everyones tastes... I wish I could talk him into a m6 over the a4 but he's set on it. I'm assuming you did the cam, pushrods, and springs on yours correct? Any other mod's you'd recommend for that motor having one?
Thanks! Yes, did the full kit with the cam. Definitely have him put the LS2 timing chain in it. Long tubes, tune and she's a screamer. I left heads and the rest stock. Motor and trans are out of a 2004 GTO.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

so if it were an 04 motor you probably have the ls6 intake correct? Did you upgrade your oil pump? What company did you use for your fuel tank? We are looking at Tanks Inc.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Correct on the LS6 intake. For the fuel tank I went Rock Auto for a Spectra Premium tank. I don't believe I touched the oil pump.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Did your specter tank come baffled? I read that some of the early ones didnt have a baffle and you could slosh the fuel away from your fuel pump pickup
Old 12-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Did your specter tank come baffled? I read that some of the early ones didnt have a baffle and you could slosh the fuel away from your fuel pump pickup
Guess I'm not sure the answer. I put 3000 miles on it this summer with no issues. Check out the details:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...811&cc=1034738
Old 12-18-2014, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

I will, I need a baffled tank bad, when the fuel level gets low and I take a hard left hander, the pump starts to surge.

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 Cam options and opinions