Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound, bad rocker or lifter advice...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking sound, bad rocker or lifter advice...

So I turned on my car yesterday and the sewing machine turned into a tick with a slight exhaust leak sound. Took it over to my tuner and they told me it was either a rocker or lifter, but most likely the rocker.

I read up on how to do it and got some conflicting install information. So my questions are as followed.

1.) Do I need to change all the rockers or can I just buy 1 or 2 LS7 replacements?

2.) Worth it to throw pushrods in there since they will be out anyways.

3.) TDC absolutely necessary when bolting them down to 22?

4.) If I need to change all the rockers what should I throw in my set up is listed below.

C5 LS1
A&A Supercharger * A&A 8 Rib Pulley * A&A Flip Drive * A&A Fuel System * Stg2 Cam 224/232/116 * LG Longtube Headers * LG X Pipe *
Borla Stingers Exhaust * Centerforce DYAD * Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers * MGW SS * C6Z06 Swaybars * C6Z06 Endlinks * DTC70/60 Brakes * SS Lines *
SSR Type CH Wheels * CoutureAero TSII Front Bumper * Carbon Creations Carbon Fiber ZR1 Sideskirts * Radioflyer V3 Headlights * Alky Injection *

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. You need ls1 replacements assuming you still run ls1 style heads ls7 rockers are different.

2. If your pushrods are hardened and right for the cam there's no reason to swap them.

3. The stock rockers are actually really good and lighter than almost any aftermarket one. Just get the trunion upgrade done to them and call it a day.

4. I've seen manuals say it can be torqued either way I've done it both ways and noticed no difference between the two
Old 12-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks Red Bird.

If I don't do the trunion upgrade I should be ok right?

I'm just going to order a few LS1 rockers and call it a day. I think Ill be daring and go non TDC, I just don't have the ability to turn the crank with all the junk in the way and I just bought a house so I need to watch my bank account input output

Thanks again!!!!! Simple as removing coils, valve cover, unbolt the rocker, seat new rocker, torque to spec, and call it a day? Also, I can run the engine with the cover off to inspect the rockers right?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

you can but oil may splash around. Honestly though theres nothing really to go wrong with the rockers. They very RARELY ever break the trunion bearings spit their needles out though even in stock applications. A trunion kit is around 120 bucks for a set of 16. I'd bet a few new ls1 rocksers will cost 50 bucks anyway

Your best bet is to R&R the rockers and replace the trunions. This will ensure all the rockers are essentially new and it will provide added security for whatever you're doing.

FWIW i have done quite a few rocker sets, followed the service manual which doesnt say anything about tdc and wrenched her down. I do recommend a little blue loctite on the rocker arm bolts however
Old 12-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01MAROONz2890
you can but oil may splash around. Honestly though theres nothing really to go wrong with the rockers. They very RARELY ever break the trunion bearings spit their needles out though even in stock applications. A trunion kit is around 120 bucks for a set of 16. I'd bet a few new ls1 rocksers will cost 50 bucks anyway

Your best bet is to R&R the rockers and replace the trunions. This will ensure all the rockers are essentially new and it will provide added security for whatever you're doing.

FWIW i have done quite a few rocker sets, followed the service manual which doesnt say anything about tdc and wrenched her down. I do recommend a little blue loctite on the rocker arm bolts however
I got a few rockers for now, we are having our second car shipping over sometime in the next few weeks so Ill probably just replace the trunions then.

Last question is how to tell the difference noise wise between a lifter and rocker? Lifters would require the heads being removed which would not be good for me.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

rockers will usually be louder tapping sound where as a lifter will generally be slightly duller and more towards the center of the block

Quick Reply: Ticking sound, bad rocker or lifter advice...