Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fast 102 or cam install

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wsierra1993
Yeah its a stock cam now. And heads are on the way. Just doing things in step. I have 4.10 gears in a s60 and its an m6. Goals are trying to get at least 450 to the wheels. Or low 11 high 10s in the quarter
Have you driven in a car with a cam as big as the MS4? I have a big cam in my 00 SS and if I had to do it again I'd most likely go a different route. Mines not a dd and it sees the track about 4 times a year not to mention it gets 11 miles a gallon lol. But it does sound bad ***
The following users liked this post:
Rickys2003svt.cobra (09-17-2019)
Old 12-25-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya man I dont mean to sound like an *** but you're going about this all the wrong way. A cam is not going to make big hp numbers and torque. Contrary to what you may think the hp difference between something like a 228 cam and an ms4 is most likely 10-12hp up to top. But the 228 will make more torque and power in the low-mid range. HEADS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the hp equation. You can have a **** cam and still make awesome power with an amazing set of heads. Often times people get caught up in big cams to make big power, then leave the stock heads and then ask a month later why a car with a tiny cam walked them down the track.... No offense Scotty lol

Those big cams come in handy with big cubes or all out max race setups where every hp matters and the car never sees sub 4k rpms.

450whp is easily attainable with full bolt ons and a mild set of heads or less bolt ons and a badass set of heads. With that said what heads are you going with? A set of CNC 243's and a 228/230 cam will make 450whp through an m6 all day long and drive a million times better than an ms4 would. Dont over cam. If you are still unsure, and it sounds like you may be, pick up the phone and Give Martin @ Tick, Geoff @ EPS, Kip@ cam motion etc a calla nd tell them your goals and setup and they will spec you a cam.

My mods in my sig are through an m6 with FULL bolt ons. I made 450 at the wheels with stock 243 heads, however I took a less traveled path and paid attention to every bolt on that went onto the car. The little things add up in the end.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ No offense taken lol

Can't wait for the day to get the car set up properly
Old 12-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha you didnt sound like an *** just someone that knows what theyre talking about and I was gonna go with some 215s either trick flow or afr. I talked to tony mamo about my build plans but just briefly
The following users liked this post:
Rickys2003svt.cobra (09-18-2019)
Old 12-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

But I usually just check out others builds and how they turn out and what they used and go from there furthering my research
Old 12-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam, stock 243'S, stock ls6 intake, stock tb and almost 450 whp. EZ.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Old 12-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Teching In

What are you cornfused about? Just saying fanCy heads and intakes aren't necessary. Get you a nice CAM. I see all these other combos with cnc heads and fast intakes and they're close to what my car makes. That's all. However, I'm sure I'll get bored with mine and throw more $ at it.

Oh, I see you're in CA...good luck.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Haha I am in cali but only temporarily. Im from illinois and its registered there lol but. Yeah ive seen some pretty crazy cam only cars. But I feel like that can be out of luck and someone trying to do the same thing might not have such a healthy engine. But I was hoping that with just doing the cam for now it could get her up above 400
Old 12-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

And sorry wasnt sure at first if you were being sarcastic or not
Old 12-25-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TimMcC
What are you cornfused about? Just saying fanCy heads and intakes aren't necessary. Get you a nice CAM. I see all these other combos with cnc heads and fast intakes and they're close to what my car makes. That's all. However, I'm sure I'll get bored with mine and throw more $ at it.

Those combos with cnc heads may not make that much more peak than you but I can guarantee they have a much more impressive mid range than you. The sns stage 3 is a pretty large cam which drives OK for its size.

I make the same power you do even with a shorter gear ratio (3.90's) but I have a MUCH smaller cam and have true stock driveability. I also make the same torque BUT more power than you do up until about 4500 rpm judging by your dyno thread. So you see theres much more to a combo than just getting a big cam. Peak dyno numbers mean VERY little.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dynos all read differently; some high and some low. Do the ET's and MPH back up that number?
Old 12-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Dynos all read differently; some high and some low. Do the ET's and MPH back up that number?
We'll know here in the NC/SC area the Dyno my car was on is rather stingy. I just built this car so no racing drag strip times and I'm not a drag racer. Certainly wouldn't pay someone to tune my car and inflate a number, their Dyno backs up that number as seen from results of other cars that are into straight line acceleration contests.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
Those combos with cnc heads may not make that much more peak than you but I can guarantee they have a much more impressive mid range than you. The sns stage 3 is a pretty large cam which drives OK for its size.

I make the same power you do even with a shorter gear ratio (3.90's) but I have a MUCH smaller cam and have true stock driveability. I also make the same torque BUT more power than you do up until about 4500 rpm judging by your dyno thread. So you see theres much more to a combo than just getting a big cam. Peak dyno numbers mean VERY little.
Drives ok? I thought my car drove almost stock, guess not, maybe I should drive it more? I agree, when I take my heads off and take them to AI then my unimpressive power might make me and others not yawn. Add and intake too? Oh yeah, even more. Just saying my set up was a start and in a 3000 lb car it's more than impressive to me.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Cam, stock 243'S, stock ls6 intake, stock tb and almost 450 whp. EZ.
This scomes across as sort of condescending not to mention a little high for the mods. Most cammed z06's even large ones make around 425-430 with bolt ons.

This makes you sound again kind of like a condescending ***** no offense. Telling someone that throwing on a set of 243 head- un ported with no intake and a few bolt ons is not a recipe for 450whp with any cam more like 425.

We'll know here in the NC/SC area the Dyno my car was on is rather stingy. I just built this car so no racing drag strip times and I'm not a drag racer. Certainly wouldn't pay someone to tune my car and inflate a number, their Dyno backs up that number as seen from results of other cars that are into straight line acceleration contests.
No one is saying you would. Some dynos read high? Hell idk if mine is correct but judging by cars I beat and others cars making power on the same dyno I'd say my number is on par.

Drives ok? I thought my car drove almost stock, guess not, maybe I should drive it more? I agree, when I take my heads off and take them to AI then my unimpressive power might make me and others not yawn. Add and intake too? Oh yeah, even more. Just saying my set up was a start and in a 3000 lb car it's more than impressive to me.
Whoa there no need to be upset. I'm sure your car drives fine, I even said the SNS stg 3 drives good for its size. However idc if you have lobes blessed by Jesus himself. A 17 degree overlap cam will not drive like one with under 8 degrees and will not feel completely stock or even really close to it. Its just physics not matter of tuning or witchcraft.

Again I never said your car makes unimpressive power. If you slapped heads and a fast one your car it would be a monster, but you havent. I simply said a car with more bolt ons or heads and a smaller am is better than throwing a "good cam" in there and calling it a day. Will they make the same power? Most likely yeah, they'll be within 10hp of each other. Will the car with the smaller cam, intake and more bolt ons make more power under the curve and be a better street car with more power under the curve? Yep every time.

Point being for the op if he wants to make 450whp he's better off doing it with a smaller cam, heads and or a FAST. Will it be more expensive? Yes. Will it be faster than a car with just a huge cam in it and drive better? Yes absolutley.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Definitely didn't mean to come across that way. Guess everyone see a starting point differently and not seeing a need for extra expensive parts. 450 is number he's loking for any monkey could grab parts and get there. Good luck with your future endeavors.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Veteran

no problem hope i didnt come across that way either.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Alright lol well thanks for the input guys. I was kind of thinking about throwing a moderate cam in there to make some nice gains for now but I do plan on getting a lot better heads and a better intake although im sure that the ls6 intake wouldnt be so bad I dont wanna cut any corners by the time im done.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

a fast 102 will pull harder in the upper rpms, if you could get a cam both would be good.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

5-year old thread...

Quick Reply: fast 102 or cam install