Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Head Porting NA vs Boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cylinder Head Porting NA vs Boost

I have just started porting a set of 243 heads for a stock cube LS1 with a TVS1900. I have been reading about porting and watching youtube videos and since I have a set of 243 heads laying around I figured why not learn.

From what I have grasped is that on the intake side you don't want drastically increase volume but streamline things to increase flow. This makes sense to me in a NA set up since the air is being drawn in by the intake stroke but wouldn't this be different in a boosted application?

My theory is based on boost being a measure of air that does not make it into the combustion cycle. In this case it seems that you would want to increase volume behind the intake valve. The more boost pressure behind the intake valve will allow the greatest volume of air to enter the combustion cycle with the only limit being the valve size, valve job and cam.

This makes sense to me but I wanted some opinions on it to verify my thoughts. One drawback might be drive ability and tune ability when not in boost.

I have also realized that when porting you need to show a lot of restraint and patience and should be focused on less is more. I am guilty of being a bit aggressive with the die grinder but I am going to let the results speak for themselves. Needless to say I will post a thread with pics for feedback so I can learn from the feedback

Thoughts?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do lots of searching, there is loads of info out there.

You are too far from your destination for a single reply to help IMO.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I have done a lot of searching and I keep searching and looking at pics but I cannot find any information in regards to porting differences between NA and boosted applications.

It stands to reason there is a difference between the 2 since in a NA application air is getting drawn through the cylinder head and in a boosted application it is getting force fed.

So I am looking for theory which has no bearing on where I am at as far as porting. Maybe there is no difference between porting a head for NA vs boost but I would like to find information to support that if its available.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is no "suction" with NA it is just atmospheric pressure as opposed to extra pressure from boost. Particularly with a blower it is pretty much just extra atmospheric pressure. Now with a turbo you have exhaust back pressure that enters the equation.

Sounds to me like you believe blindly bigger is better and are begging for someone to agree.

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 12-26-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No difference NA to FI except incoming air density.

(ie) Whats the difference between NA at sea level and FI 1bar boost at 18,000 feet as far as intake pressure is concerned!?

Answer is nothing!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 387 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
There is no "suction" with NA it is just atmospheric pressure as opposed to extra pressure from boost. Particularly with a blower it is pretty much just extra atmospheric pressure. Now with a turbo you have exhaust back pressure that enters the equation.

Sounds to me like you believe blindly bigger is better and are begging for someone to agree.
Bingo....a much misunderstood topic right there.

Port for efficiency and max flow across the curve while keeping an eye on the proper cross sectional area for the displacement targeted, RPM, and general application in question.

That's the abridged version.....LOL

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Porting NA vs Boost