Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who makes the best trunion kit?
Summit brand
15.63%
Comp cams
34.38%
Other brand
50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Comp or Summit rocker trunion kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
I've got the Comps and so far, so good. Never heard of any negatives when I was buying them. I actually race my car; probably have over 50 runs on them with no problems.
As with anything including Yugos some people have never had a problem but I have seen several posts about Comp kits having the "C" clip break. Never have seen it with others although not everyone that has problems posts on car boards. As to the comment above about never seeing a stock rocker break there have also been many posts about the needle bearings coming out and redistributing themselves throughout the motor. The trunion upgrade if done correctly with a good kit prevents that. It is extremely easy to do with a "C" clip pliers some sockets and an ordinary vise as well as cheap.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:50 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't find the thread (within the last week) where kip actually addressed this. I want to say it was, don't quote me, 8620, which Comps is not.

He himself was looking into offering a kit through Cam Motion, but Brian already had it done. That's why he sells Brian's kit.

Hopefully one of the two chime in here to clear this up.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I can't find the thread (within the last week) where kip actually addressed this. I want to say it was, don't quote me, 8620, which Comps is not.

He himself was looking into offering a kit through Cam Motion, but Brian already had it done. That's why he sells Brian's kit.

Hopefully one of the two chime in here to clear this up.
I read that thread. Cam Motion is not Brian Tooley... Only Tooley can provide the details and that's who needs to chime in here.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:46 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
I read that thread. Cam Motion is not Brian Tooley... Only Tooley can provide the details and that's who needs to chime in here.
As I said above, hopefully he will...
Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
I'd like to hear from Brian Tooley about how his trunnion kit is better and if the steel is better. I know Harland Sharp says that there trunnions are for serious racing applications only. Does this mean they are not as durable as the OE GM rockers?

There is a vendor who says their trunnions are made from 8620 carburized steel, but metallurgy testing showed otherwise. I will not divulge who that vendor was, but I did bring the results to their attention.

If you're outsourcing the trunnion manufacturing, it would be easy for the supplier to switch materials without your knowledge, so constant testing would be required.

I'm lucky to have a supplier who has been in business supplying trunnions for a very long time who I can trust to do an excellent job without constant testing. Our kit also uses the thicker/larger snap rings that are practically impossible to break. We also supply the installation washers and bolts where others may not.

There's one last detail in the trunnion kits that we don't like which will be changed very soon, so be looking for that announcement. :-)
Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm actually looking to order a kit soon. Any time estimate on when the new design will be available? Or if they'll be "closeout" on the old one lol
Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
There is a vendor who says their trunnions are made from 8620 carburized steel, but metallurgy testing showed otherwise. I will not divulge who that vendor was, but I did bring the results to their attention.

If you're outsourcing the trunnion manufacturing, it would be easy for the supplier to switch materials without your knowledge, so constant testing would be required.

I'm lucky to have a supplier who has been in business supplying trunnions for a very long time who I can trust to do an excellent job without constant testing. Our kit also uses the thicker/larger snap rings that are practically impossible to break. We also supply the installation washers and bolts where others may not.

There's one last detail in the trunnion kits that we don't like which will be changed very soon, so be looking for that announcement. :-)
Ok, that's what I wanted to know. I'm ordering your kit now and will ditch the Comp trunnions. Thanks for replying.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just ordered the BTR trunnions.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed the BTR trunnions today and I'm no expert, but they are better than the Comp trunnions that I have. One of my Comp snap rings broke about a year ago and I just never trusted them again. The Tooley snap rings are thick and very high quality. The kit also included the install washers to seat all the bearings at the same height every time. I'm very happy with them, but will not get to install them until it's warmer.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's going to be changed on them and when will this change take place? I need to get some in no more than a month.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 4SFEDSS
What's going to be changed on them and when will this change take place? I need to get some in no more than a month.
We're changing the bolts. I would have to check Monday to see how far out we are on the new bolts.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

We're changing the bolts. I would have to check Monday to see how far out we are on the new bolts.
I plan to order your trunion kit soon. Look forward to hearing when the new kit is available.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Brian, I bought the Lunati kit back when they first came out (came with new rockers). Are they the same as the Comp kit? They look different than the pics I've seen of the Comp snap rings. I wonder if your kit and the Lunati kit come from the same place (and that place is different than Comp)?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:55 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Brian, I bought the Lunati kit back when they first came out (came with new rockers). Are they the same as the Comp kit? They look different than the pics I've seen of the Comp snap rings. I wonder if your kit and the Lunati kit come from the same place (and that place is different than Comp)?
Since Comp owns Lunati... I would imagine they're exactly the same. In the pictures that I've seen the snap rings are the smaller ones, so I'd think the remainder of the components are the same as well.

We don't purchase a trunnion kit from any one source. We designed the trunnions and had them manufactured. We purchase the bearings from the bearing manufacturer. We purchase the snap rings from the snap ring manufacturer. And recently we went to a bolt manufacturer to have our own bolts made. This is how a vendor like BTR offers a kit of our own with better components at a lower price point, very similar to what we did with our spring kits.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Brian Tooley for President.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Brian Tooley for President.
Hahaha, you had me rolling on the floor with that one!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just got your trunnion kit and installed it into my rocker arms, but can't do the install for a couple months. Am I going to get a set of new bolts when they are released? What are the differences going to be between the bolts?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any word on the bolts yet?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 4SFEDSS
Any word on the bolts yet?
You must have ESP, they just arrived, we'll be shipping them within an hour.
Attached Thumbnails Comp or Summit rocker trunion kit-12-point-bolt.jpg  

Last edited by Brian Tooley Racing; 03-12-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

You must have ESP, they just arrived, we'll be shipping them within an hour.
Great, if I buy them on amazon will they come right from you with the updated hardware? thanks for the quick response

Quick Reply: Comp or Summit rocker trunion kit