Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 lil bit of boost got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 lil bit of boost got some questions

99 5.3 engine plans are lil bit of boost down the road when i get time for it 5-600 at the crank any other info needed lmk

planing on putting my ls1 cam in it ( out of a 99 camaro) was gunna replace the lifters seen some stuff about using the ls7 lifters better push rods dont know what valve springs to use yet just rebuilding bottom end for stock not sure if i should do arp rod bolts yet probly clevite bearings any recommendations for piston rings? also what should i get for a timing chain was thinking doubble roller? seen the ls6 chain is slopy and oil pump? is stock fine
Old 01-27-2015, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ben husen
99 5.3 engine plans are lil bit of boost down the road when i get time for it 5-600 at the crank any other info needed lmk

planing on putting my ls1 cam in it ( out of a 99 camaro) ls6 cam is tried and tested and can be had for cheap.

was gunna replace the lifters seen some stuff about using the ls7 lifters yes ls7

better push rods dont know what valve springs to use yet ls6 yellow springs. or a comp 918.

just rebuilding bottom end for stock not sure if i should do arp rod bolts yet. no need since you are talking about a mild build. you wont be seeing the rpm to justify arp. but if it makes you feel better it wont hurt.

probly clevite bearings any recommendations for piston rings? depends on how much boost you are going to be running. just don't skimp and gap for boost.

also what should i get for a timing chain was thinking doubble roller? there are plenty of strong singles out there but again if it makes you feel better it wont hurt to go double.

seen the ls6 chain is slopy and oil pump? is stock fine. melling, ported ls6, moroso etc etc. pick one.
i would suggest ls9 gaskets, arp head steads, and 317 heads.

also we need to know more. is this going in a car or truck? what turbo are you planning on running? what trans?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
i would suggest ls9 gaskets, arp head steads, and 317 heads.

also we need to know more. is this going in a car or truck? what turbo are you planning on running? what trans?
4wd truck will probly lower it from were its at and do 35s since its currently on 38s 4l60e trans and gt45 turbo
hadnt settled on head gasket yet hadnt figured out my compression ratio to see what gaskets i want and ill look at my heads at work tomorrow to see what they are

i know the ls6 cam is better but i already have a ls1 cam since its just a cheap build and i still need to build my ls1

ok ill look for a part number for ls6 yellow springs
and ill skip the rod bolts just didnt know if that was a weak spot or not i know it is in the ls1

boost probly around 10-14 psi to be at 500-600 what ever feels good in the truck

and ok ill probly look for a single just grew up in old sbc were u always get a doubble roller

probly do ls6 pump
i work at napa so i try to get as much as i can through there since the discount is usually really nice 10% above cost

thanks for the reply
Old 01-27-2015, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

re use your stock timing gears, get a new LS2 chain for 40 bucks and a Trick Flow chain dampener to keep it from flopping. There's a new Hinson C7 single chain which is pretty much unbreakable but costs a buck fifty. Unlike old school small blocks, a double chain requires shimming the oil pump out for clearance and then grinding the inside of the timing cover for oil pump clearance. Really no need for any of that nonsense.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
re use your stock timing gears, get a new LS2 chain for 40 bucks and a Trick Flow chain dampener to keep it from flopping. There's a new Hinson C7 single chain which is pretty much unbreakable but costs a buck fifty. Unlike old school small blocks, a double chain requires shimming the oil pump out for clearance and then grinding the inside of the timing cover for oil pump clearance. Really no need for any of that nonsense.
ok thats what i was looking for ill go with single and its fine to reuse gears? they wear out to i thought and ill see if my block has the holes for the dampner
Old 01-28-2015, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Pretty sure the Trick Flow one is for blocks that don't have the holes.
It comes with button head bolts to fasten to the lower cam retention plate.
If you have the holes then the GM LS2 is cheap or Katech has the remaining LS1 but they are pricey.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Pretty sure the Trick Flow one is for blocks that don't have the holes.
It comes with button head bolts to fasten to the lower cam retention plate.
If you have the holes then the GM LS2 is cheap or Katech has the remaining LS1 but they are pricey.
Ah yea I read somthing about that guess ill go with that one

Quick Reply: 5.3 lil bit of boost got some questions