TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So, then that makes the issues some have with Comp Cam, cam's even more
un-excusable.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
That is correct sir. Comp has two 24" Adcole 911's and one 36" Adcole 911. Both of which have many different functions and features. Spectrum analysis is one of them which can see amplitude of surface chatter.
Having these fine machines and using them on every single cam that goes out the door are two different things from a customer's standpoint.

Originally Posted by KCS
That's what I thought. The Cam Doctor is a nice instrument to have, but it's like setting bearing clearances with a tape measure next to an Adcole.
I spent some quality time at the Audie Technology booth at PRI hearing about the latest and greatest on these machines, and I can tell you that when you get down to a tenth of a degree of duration and a ten thousandths of an inch in lift, the quality of the fixture that holds the cam and the care taken in setting up the cam in the fixture is much more of a factor in getting accurate results than trying to measure beyond 1 ten thousandths.

Realistically, in lobe production accuracy, anything less than 1 tenth of a degree or 1 ten thousandths of an inch is beyond practical value. So, the Cam Doctor is an excellent tool for the job with more than enough accuracy. The real value in having this machinery is actually using it to assure quality.

Last edited by speedtigger; 02-04-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read that BIG thread, yea, let's not go there. Still, some have the opinion that Lunati is exempt from this problem. I wonder if they use the 1050 core instead of the 1060 ? I don't think that's the reason.
Their Voodoo lobe is the one that interests me but looking at their catalog, it seems to be offered in .584 and .650 lift. Since .650 is out of the question for stock rockers, I would be left with the .584 . If their 230 duration lobe is anything like the Ultradyne (as some say it is) it has a lobe intensity of 54 for .006 to .050 so it's going to be easy on parts. Sounds like it would be weak on the dyno too.
I dunno, I'm new so maybe I'm wrong. I looked for a Lunati lobe list but could not find one and their Voodoo page don't say much. Hate the skull logo too.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squalor
I read that BIG thread, yea, let's not go there. Still, some have the opinion that Lunati is exempt from this problem. I wonder if they use the 1050 core instead of the 1060 ? I don't think that's the reason.
Their Voodoo lobe is the one that interests me but looking at their catalog, it seems to be offered in .584 and .650 lift. Since .650 is out of the question for stock rockers, I would be left with the .584 . If their 230 duration lobe is anything like the Ultradyne (as some say it is) it has a lobe intensity of 54 for .006 to .050 so it's going to be easy on parts. Sounds like it would be weak on the dyno too.
I dunno, I'm new so maybe I'm wrong. I looked for a Lunati lobe list but could not find one and their Voodoo page don't say much. Hate the skull logo too.
If you know what you want call us we will make it for you. Give us .006 .05 and lobe lift. Lobe separation & advancement. That's it then you have what you want. Core 1050/8660/8620 polished lobes Cam Doc report. This is a custom cam. Have it in a few days😊
Old 02-04-2015, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Notice my avatar ? I'm saving hard and am up to $390 but $200 of that is going to TEA for a Serdi valvejob on my 243 heads.

I thought I wanted a Futral F13 but after using the P to V calculator that speedtigger posted, I'm rethinking my plan. I want compression too. Only thing I'm sure of is that I want a 8620 core.

wayland1985, I would suggest you use the calculator before you buy a cam too. It's a game changer.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squalor
Notice my avatar ? I'm saving hard and am up to $390 but $200 of that is going to TEA for a Serdi valvejob on my 243 heads.

I thought I wanted a Futral F13 but after using the P to V calculator that speedtigger posted, I'm rethinking my plan. I want compression too. Only thing I'm sure of is that I want a 8620 core.

wayland1985, I would suggest you use the calculator before you buy a cam too. It's a game changer.
Not enough PTV with the f13? What CC are your heads?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:59 AM
TECH Regular

64.45cc I've hijacked this thread enough.

wayland1985, this is how I explained XE-R lobes in another thread and no one called me on it so
"Those cams use the Comp XE-R lobe. Daily driving at low rpm, they would be great. They would idle better and have more vacuum than a 224 with a XE lobe. Both the 224r and 224XE measure the same at .050 lift but the XE-R waits a bit longer to open the valve. It would have less overlap because at .006 it has 273 duration instead of the XE 277 duration. It feels like a smaller cam, manners wise but more power. When it does open the valve, it jerks the valve open and gets to 224 @ .050 faster. From .050 to .200 it is opening (and closing) faster, 146 compared to 142 for the XE and has a bit more peak lift, .581 compared to .568.
So the XE-R lobe sounds like a better cam but there are trade-offs. Because it opens the valve so fast it's hard on valve springs and lifters. They will wear out much faster. Also, your pushrods will try to bend because of the fast ramp rate. As you rev to your 7000 rpm goal, your pushrods could act like springs and loft the valve off the nose of the cam, valve float. This is the point that the soft XE lobe catches up. It may have another 300 to 400 rpm before the float begins and that extra rpm is extra horsepower."
You have to be honest with yourself about how much maintenance your willing to do and how you will drive 95% of the time. I would not be afraid of a Comp cam if it was a vendors shelf cam. It's when you roll your own that a possibility occurs that the hardening could be ground thin, or so I heard in the BIG thread.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Everyone is also going to have their own preference. Some will even say steer clear of Comp altogether and will recommend another cam grinder. There probably isn't going to be too many people more experienced in this sort of thing than some of the sponsors that sell, install, and dyno these cars day in and day out. I'd take a sponsor's advice into consideration over someone who has done maybe one or two heads/cam installs.
A blanket hate to Comp is indeed kinda silly. But Comp screwing up, and it bringing other vendors into the spotlight is the American way. It's the equalizer, how the American dream was born, how the little guy competes and has a chance at success. If you don't like that, I just don't know what to tell you. Two completely different schools of thought.....

Let's talk about vendors for a second. They are here as their job. They are here to make money. Some go above and beyond, some dont. At the end of the day they have to make a profit to make so they can keep their doors open. We aren't here for them, they are here for us....or our money rather. No shame in that, that's not an insult we all should make an honest living and they provide a legitimate service. The point is: don't discredit someone giving you advice when they stand NOTHING to gain from it. On the other hand, always watch when someone has their hand poised over your wallet pocket.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 02-05-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
A blanket hate to Comp is indeed kinda silly. But Comp screwing up, and it bringing other vendors into the spotlight is the American way. It's the equalizer, how the American dream was born, how the little guy competes and has a chance at success. If you don't like that, I just don't know what to tell you. Two completely different schools of thought.....

Let's talk about vendors for a second. They are here as their job. They are here to make money. Some go above and beyond, some dont. At the end of the day they have to make a profit to make so they can keep their doors open. We aren't here for them, they are here for us....or our money rather. No shame in that, that's not an insult we all should make an honest living and they provide a legitimate service. The point is: don't discredit someone giving you advice when they stand NOTHING to gain from it. On the other hand, always watch when someone has their hand poised over your wallet pocket.
That's fine and all, but l was talking about experience. Like I said, I'd take a sponsor's advice into consideration over someone who has done maybe one or two heads/cam installs ever. When you do several cam installs per week, you're obviously going to have more feedback about what works and what doesn't.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't care how many comp has had fail. I've had 2 of them in my ls and a friend local had another go.

It has cost me a hell of a lot more than the price difference so from now on mine will be ground on the better cores. At least then if for some reason I have a problem I know it will be looked into and taken care of accordingly.

The customer service you will receive from Kip is another excellent benefit to the minuscule price difference.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that everything here needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The vendors are looking for money (although most here seem to be trying to make a name for themselves.... So they likely won't steer you wrong).

Then we have a ton of members here who are giving hear-say advice. They hear something, accept it, and preach it as the truth. But, at the same time, real-life experience is very helpful.

I think one of the big things I really need to take into consideration here is the livability of the cam. I never took into account the fact that some cams may also affect idle and accessories. I'm not about to sacrifice my AC, so I certainly have my cut work out for me here.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

In my experience, the best thing that you can do is to write down exactly what driving characteristics, performance characteristics and goals you have next to an in depth breakdown of your cars setup: engine, heads, displacement, compression, intake, exhaust, transmission, stall(if an automatic), final drive ratio, vehicle weight etc. That is all the information a cam expert would use to get you the right camshaft.

Also, when it comes to lobes, you pick the lobes that are right for your application. You don't pick some specialty lobe designed to squeeze out an extra 3ft lbs of torque at the expense of valve train stability and long term reliability for a daily driver. It makes no sense. If you want a camshaft that will go the distance on the street, pick smooth lobes designed to go the distance.

When it comes to performance characteristics, that is when you choose your camshafts specs for valve events. That is where the detailed list of information above comes in.

Lobes design for application and valve events for performance characteristics.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me also add, when Tigger says "smooth" lobe profiles he doesn't mean lobe profiles that are low on lift.

Lift is not the determining factor in how smooth a lobe profile is. It's part of the equation, but not the only variable.

The easiest way to look at it is F=MA. F=Force required to control the acceleration and mass of an object. M= mass, A=accleration.

Quick Reply: Help me with lobes!