Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my instructor is a hoot...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my instructor is a hoot...

So I come into class this morning and get humiliated in front of the whole class by my instructor when I decided to let him in on my camswap progress. He said there's no way im going to keep valves up without compressed air while doing springs. I told him I've done my research and most people do the tdc method and he just laughed .... I don't have compressed air at home and alot of people prefer tdc over the compressed air anyways. Think I can get him back by bringing my ta to school next week, or is he right about it being close to impossible without compressed air?
Thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fbody4everyone
So I come into class this morning and get humiliated in front of the whole class by my instructor when I decided to let him in on my camswap progress. He said there's no way im going to keep valves up without compressed air while doing springs. I told him I've done my research and most people do the tdc method and he just laughed .... I don't have compressed air at home and alot of people prefer tdc over the compressed air anyways. Think I can get him back by bringing my ta to school next week, or is he right about it being close to impossible without compressed air? Thanks
I've done it many a times without compressed air. As a matter of fact, I've NEVER used it.

You'll be fine. Personally I'd take some pics and show him exactly what you're talking about and doing. How can he not "get it?" You're going cylinder to cylinder that's at TDC AND using rope or whatever to take out the slack (I don't even do that. I just pull up on the valve stem if they drop the entire quarter of an inch)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do the tdc trick just fine. if the piston is up and you do end up dropping the valve is not going to go far, at least not far enough to where you wouldnt be able to pull it back out. just make sure its on the right stroke at its actually up and not at the bottom. pull the spark plug and stick a straw in there where it starts to bend thats when the piston is up.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exactly what I was planning to do. Thanks for the motivation guys...there's more than one way to do things
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

never used compressed air on any of the 4 LS cam swaps I've done
Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Launching!

This is the same guy that said you couldn't leave the lifters in while changing the cam? How is he teaching a vocational school without keeping up with modern motors?

Last edited by 1 Slow WS6; 04-01-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes it is. And I know right? L's motors have a bunch of tricks that im still learning
Old 04-01-2015, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

personally I'd be questioning his expertise if he thinks its so impossible. Its been done that way for a long time. I did mine that way and its great, plus try getting compressed air hoses into an fbody engine bay lol. I'd take pics and a video of doing a couple springs and then let hilarity ensure as you show it to the whole class.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I know some of these instructors. Sometimes wish I didn't, most annoying people. Think they know everything, know nothing, and wont STFU.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Imagine if his student were as rigid and uneducatable as he is?
As was covered in the other thread now you know why he teaches instead of DOING.
LSO demonstrates how poor supposed "higher education" is these days. Apprenticeships would serve a LOT of higher education students better, but it wouldn't bleed them and their parents of cash.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I've never used compressed air. TDC plus rope. When you drive it to school, he'll believe you.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1 Slow WS6
How is he teaching a vocational school without keeping up with modern motors?
how long has he been out of the field the LS is almost 20 yrs old.
when i went to school the teachers were out of the field maybe 5 yrs
now if he said in my experience no you cant thats a different story, maybe he worked on honda's

Last edited by FirstGen F-Body; 04-01-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Yes it is. And I know right? L's motors have a bunch of tricks that im still learning
I'm actually REALLY curious to hear about his reaction when you take a picture of the wooden dowels sticking out of the front of your engine to hold the lifters up while you swap the cam.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha you all made a great point and I will keep you updated on the reaction. Got motor torn down, all ready for camswap. Just waiting on parts!

Hahah show him my 'dowel pins' and 'straw' and say....listen to the cam lope!!

Where do I get these dowel pins anyways? Going to need them soon
Old 04-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Launching!

If you really want to blow his mind tell him you can change the camshaft without taking the lifters out and no tool to hold them up. I've done it a few times myself... that way mostly for the suspense though, LOL
Old 04-02-2015, 08:54 AM

I got them at lowes for $3. Get 5/16" wooden dowels 2' long.

After pulling the rockers and timing chain, you spin the cam a few times to get all the lifters up, then push the dowels in. It'll take more force than you think, but once it starts, you quickly get a feel for it.

I do not at all recommend doing the russion roullette method of letting the lifter trays hold the lifters without the dowels. Lots of people get away with it, but drop a lifter in the oil pan one time... Dowels are cheap. Pulling the oil pan sucks
Old 04-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Launching!

I do not at all recommend doing the russion roullette method of letting the lifter trays hold the lifters without the dowels. Lots of people get away with it, but drop a lifter in the oil pan one time... Dowels are cheap. Pulling the oil pan sucks[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with the above statement! Taking risks is in my nature
Old 04-02-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

So I come into class this morning and get humiliated in front of the whole class by my instructor when I decided to let him in on my camswap progress. He said there's no way im going to keep valves up without compressed air while doing springs. I told him I've done my research and most people do the tdc method and he just laughed .... I don't have compressed air at home and alot of people prefer tdc over the compressed air anyways. Think I can get him back by bringing my ta to school next week, or is he right about it being close to impossible without compressed air?
Thanks
He's full of compressed air....Ask if he's available................
Old 04-02-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't read all the responses, but you will be fine. I cant believe he is so stuck on compressed air. Must be the way he was taught. I have swapped springs for about 30 years now. Only used air a couple of times. All the rest of the time it was using a cotton cord or rope. We keep it in the car trailers and in our tool boxes. Its a tool we always have on hand. Put some rope in the cylinder and hand crank the engine until it stops. Your ready to pop the springs off. Then crank it the other direction and pull the rope out after that cylinder is completed. Move to the next cylinder. Isnt rocket science. You will do fine. Just make sure to pop the tops of the valves with a "rubber" mallet after you install the new springs to make sure the keepers are seated well and don't pop lose when you start it. You can also use a small piece of wood and hit the wood with a regular hammer. Just don't want to damage the top of the valve stem.

And yes, the lifters SHOULD hold themselves up with the springs. But I like to be safe on that and would support them. Yes, a lifter in the oil pan sucks. Been there and done that.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I used compressed air 1 time....never did again and I've changed a bunch. I don't even use a rope, just a piece of 1/8 rubber vacuum hose.

I have a question for your instructor.....WTH happens if you loose air pressure while the spring is off?

YER UCKED!

Quick Reply: my instructor is a hoot...