Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015 | 12:59 PM
Teching In

Default lifter selection

Well after a complete engine build I decided to reuse my old ls7 lifters, and now they are starting to worry me so I'm looking to upgrade...I'm not looking to spend $700 on lifters but I want a quality part that I don't need to worry about, what would you guys recommend for my setup?
Ls7
Caddy
Comp pro magnums
Comp drop ins
Morel drop ins
Morel street link bar
Etc?

Setup is a forged 12:1 347, 239/250 .624/.615 114+4, tea stage 2 799s with their upgrade pac spring set, 4150/super vic, and about 7500rpm on a 250-400 shot through a puck and speedtech softline fogger

Thanks jn advance
Old 04-04-2015 | 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member

I wouldn't do a drop in lifter if you plan on revving past 7K all the time.....
I would personally do morel 5206 lifters if your budget allows. You really can't beat a link bar setup as far as stability and reliability.
Best drop in that's under 200 bucks I have seen/heard is morel 5315 lifters.
Old 04-04-2015 | 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

With that setup and high revs, I second the high end Morels. Why skimp when you have so much in the setup already.
Old 04-04-2015 | 11:07 PM
Teching In

What's the overall opinion on the street link bar morels? I'm just having a hard time justifying $700 on lifters in a street car
Old 04-04-2015 | 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

If you want to spin the motor above 7k then you need a high quality lifter. Have some spun the motor over 7k with stock style drop in lifters, yes...but that does not mean it's the right thing to do. Personally if I am building a high rpm motor, Johnson short travel lifters would be on my short list.
Old 04-05-2015 | 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by reddragon71
What's the overall opinion on the street link bar morels? I'm just having a hard time justifying $700 on lifters in a street car
When you spend that kind of money on lifters it's like you buying full coverage insurance over cheap insurance that doesn't cover $#it if something happens. Good link bar lifters are quiet and like I already mention super reliable and stable as a kid with a bicycle with training wheels.

Soon I plan on running 10s all motor with my 6 speed and driving the car EVERYWHERE..... I wouldn't dare to that with a drop in lifter. I hate to see you have a great combo and skimp out on lifters..... After all I know you don't want your lobes on that cam ate for dinner by a cheap roller and cause disaster. Just keeping it real.
Old 04-05-2015 | 06:46 PM
Teching In

I understand what you guys are saying, but if I took the most expensive and insured route in everything with this car id be in the poor house...If the btr slr lifters were still available I'd be running those, multiple cars in my area running bottom 5s in the 1/8 with them...If honestly just torn between caddy lifters, morel drop ins, or the street link bars right now
Old 04-05-2015 | 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

I am running morel 5315's but I am not spinning the motor as hard.
Old 04-07-2015 | 01:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

At 7000 rpm the camshaft moves at 3500 rpm. That is 58 revolutions per second. So in that small window of time you are operating 1 lifter at lets say 280* of the total 360* it travels (280 adv duration). So for roughly 3/4 of an entire revolution you are making the lifter work. It works against spring pressure, cylinder pressure, NITROUS, and oil pressure as well as staying on the lobe face itself. So basically for 58 revolutions per second that lifter is working at 75% capacity(per unit of time) or more. It is intaking oil, using it to supply pressure to the lifter internals, and bleeding it back off. 58 times in 1 second this happens. All the while it is fighting those other issues that are trying to force the oil out of it or compress it inside of it, or not even fill it entirely.
Using that overly simplified example you can see the need for high quality components to work at that high rate of speed. The window to bleed off all of that oil pressure to not cause pump up becomes VERY small above 6k and even more so at 7k.
That doesnt even take into effect the oil viscosity you are using. Most of the short travel lifters recommend 5-30 AT MOST.
We have the 5206 tie bars at a very good gp price or the 4708 non tie bar drop ins as well.
Now maybe you can rationalize buying expensive lifters for your 7k build. Ls7 lifters at 7k with the honest spring pressure it would takr to control the valves that high wouldnt last. And the "caddy high rev" lifters have not shown to be the most reliable.

On the other hand, a solid roller lifter would give you what you want unless you dont want to check your valvetrain every so often and set valve lash. They are not super expensive either and can be ran on a roller lobe. But you may want to ditch the high volume oil pump if you are using one.
http://www.coloradospeed.com/morel-mechanical-roller-lifters-ls-842d-tb-mech-roller-for-std-hi-lift-p-32271.html

The other big question is will you step up to 11/32 or 3/8 pushrods? I doubt the 5/16 will hold that. And depending on the pac spring, they may not either.

Last edited by COSPEED2; 04-07-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2015 | 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
At 7000 rpm the camshaft moves at 3500 rpm. That is 58 revolutions per second. So in that small window of time you are operating 1 lifter at lets say 280* of the total 360* it travels (280 adv duration). So for roughly 3/4 of an entire revolution you are making the lifter work. It works against spring pressure, cylinder pressure, NITROUS, and oil pressure as well as staying on the lobe face itself. So basically for 58 revolutions per second that lifter is working at 75% capacity(per unit of time) or more. It is intaking oil, using it to supply pressure to the lifter internals, and bleeding it back off. 58 times in 1 second this happens. All the while it is fighting those other issues that are trying to force the oil out of it or compress it inside of it, or not even fill it entirely.
Using that overly simplified example you can see the need for high quality components to work at that high rate of speed. The window to bleed off all of that oil pressure to not cause pump up becomes VERY small above 6k and even more so at 7k.
That doesnt even take into effect the oil viscosity you are using. Most of the short travel lifters recommend 5-30 AT MOST.
We have the 5206 tie bars at a very good gp price or the 4708 non tie bar drop ins as well.
Now maybe you can rationalize buying expensive lifters for your 7k build. Ls7 lifters at 7k with the honest spring pressure it would takr to control the valves that high wouldnt last. And the "caddy high rev" lifters have not shown to be the most reliable.

On the other hand, a solid roller lifter would give you what you want unless you dont want to check your valvetrain every so often and set valve lash. They are not super expensive either and can be ran on a roller lobe. But you may want to ditch the high volume oil pump if you are using one.
http://www.coloradospeed.com/morel-m...t-p-32271.html

The other big question is will you step up to 11/32 or 3/8 pushrods? I doubt the 5/16 will hold that. And depending on the pac spring, they may not either.
Bought my morel 5290 from them. They have the best price so far!

Quick Reply: lifter selection