Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumble at Idle and Fuel Smell in the Oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I was going to say...I would never spray that **** on my motor. Lol

I know right? It's just plain ignorant. I've seen that posted more than once here lately. Someone is going to get seriously hurt using starting fluid that doesn't understand how damn flammable that **** is.

I'm sure some people will say, "Oh I've been doing that for years.." All I have to say to that is, "Darwinism has not caught up with you yet."
Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
IIRC there's a TSB from GM stating to change the gap to .045

Check to see if the fuel pressure bleeds off when you shut the key off or if it holds.

If you can, check your fuel trims at idle and about 3grand. Depending on what they are will point you in the direction if its a vacuum leak or injector issue.
I'm going to try to borrow a scanner and see what I can do from there with this. For the fuel pressure bleed off test, do I have to clamp down a line or should it be alright by itself? Also, should the pressure stay firm while testing it no matter how long, or will it drop down after a while without the clamp?
Old 04-14-2015, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get your car tuned properly and maybe it will run properly.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Johnnypappis
I'm going to try to borrow a scanner and see what I can do from there with this. For the fuel pressure bleed off test, do I have to clamp down a line or should it be alright by itself? Also, should the pressure stay firm while testing it no matter how long, or will it drop down after a while without the clamp?
Check it first the way it sits. Cycle the key a few times to build up pressure then shut the key off and let it sit. If it does drop thats when you will pinch a line off to see if it's an injector bleeding off.

Also check your ECT. If the car has been sitting for an extended period of time the IAT and ECT should be just about the same.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check it first the way it sits. Cycle the key a few times to build up pressure then shut the key off and let it sit. If it does drop thats when you will pinch a line off to see if it's an injector bleeding off.

Also check your ECT. If the car has been sitting for an extended period of time the IAT and ECT should be just about the same.
Sounds good, I'll do this today.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know right? It's just plain ignorant. I've seen that posted more than once here lately. Someone is going to get seriously hurt using starting fluid that doesn't understand how damn flammable that **** is.

I'm sure some people will say, "Oh I've been doing that for years.." All I have to say to that is, "Darwinism has not caught up with you yet."
I've done it plenty of times with no issue and found vacuum leaks , some agree some don't. No need for insults kid!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Your spark plug gap is fine. GM recommends .045.

The fuel smell could be blow-by. Tune. PCV issue. Pick one and work on it.

For the PCV, I'd remove the LS1 valve and install a catch can. I have this and it works super.

For the tune, post it up if you can. I seriously doubt there is much to it. I think getting a mail-order tune for bolt-ons is a bogus way to make cash.

Last one is worst case. Blow-by would be the rings allowing fuel to get into the oil or vice versa. It would account for the smell and it would account for the stumble if oil were getting into the combustion chamber. Leak-down and compression test may be worth it.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1 Slow WS6
I've done it plenty of times with no issue and found vacuum leaks , some agree some don't. No need for insults kid!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on your issue op?

Quick Reply: Stumble at Idle and Fuel Smell in the Oil.