Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use the Castrol Magnatec oil in their noisey LS motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These oil threads are always good for a laugh. OP, as you can see it all boils down to personal preference.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can tell you this, 6 different LS motors now, and Castrol Edge with Titanium has made them ALL quiet.
FWIW, a motor oil that is better at masking noises (because let's face it, the oil itself did not magically fix whatever was making those noises) does not necessarily mean it's a better oil at keeping the motor clean and protecting its moving pieces when in use.

All that really means is a person should be using the right oil for their application. If one prefers a quiet motor for daily driving and could care less about absolute wear protection the example above would work great for them. For someone driving their cars hard at the strip or road course could probably care less about the fact that their engines are a little quieter at idle and moreso about the shearability and protection an oil can provide.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Negative. They make a 10w30 that's not "race only" and is for street use (cat compliant)

Anyway, for my 2 cents, you guys keep touting this German crap and that's fine and dandy.

I can tell you this, 6 different LS motors now, and Castrol Edge with Titanium has made them ALL quiet. Went to the aforementioned VR1 and it got louder. Swapped back to Edge w/ Ti and the noise was gone.

What else is there to debate? Use the flagship from Castrol and be done with it.

I'm so sick of this German ****. PROVE to me it's better than Edge w/ Ti. Please. I have all the time in the world.
Nice. Gonna give Castrol Edge with titanium a shot. Thanks man.

Quick Reply: Anybody use the Castrol Magnatec oil in their noisey LS motor?