Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Engine is using massive amount of oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have a hard time believing that 7 quarts would be gone that fast. Either someone took the oil out or there wasn't enough put in to start with
Old 05-13-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Aftermkt pan>>> Dipstick and tube match it?
Old 05-14-2015, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a oil problem with my last setup. I went and purchsed a new pcv valve at advance when i put my motor together. Well i ran that setup probably a good yr before i tore it down. The last time out with it i had a few detonation issues when on the spray. I figured the kit was getting old and used a good bit. Didnt worry about it to much. So i tore it down and what do ya know, when i pulled the heads the intake runners were full of oil. Alot of oil. I checked pcv and it was sloppy loose. So check that for sure.

I bet i was down on power alot with my last setup from burning oil like crazy and detonation!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Just a little update, it turns out that it wasn't seven quarts that I was missing. Talked to the guys who made my oil pan and cleared up some confusion. Still I'm missing about 3-4 quarts in less than a month. I'm going to drain the oil. Recheck my dip stick measurement and get a fresh oil Change. I'll update you guys again soon
Old 05-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
I had a oil problem with my last setup. I went and purchsed a new pcv valve at advance when i put my motor together. Well i ran that setup probably a good yr before i tore it down. The last time out with it i had a few detonation issues when on the spray. I figured the kit was getting old and used a good bit. Didnt worry about it to much. So i tore it down and what do ya know, when i pulled the heads the intake runners were full of oil. Alot of oil. I checked pcv and it was sloppy loose. So check that for sure.

I bet i was down on power alot with my last setup from burning oil like crazy and detonation!
I will definitely change the pvc stuff out. I'm almost positive it's original. So about 15 years old
Old 05-14-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

What capacity is the oil pan?

And you said 800 miles, correct?
Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cmercer89
Just a little update, it turns out that it wasn't seven quarts that I was missing. Talked to the guys who made my oil pan and cleared up some confusion. Still I'm missing about 3-4 quarts in less than a month. I'm going to drain the oil. Recheck my dip stick measurement and get a fresh oil Change. I'll update you guys again soon
Typical BS ...reason I don't answer many posts anymore. If you want help at least post something believeable. When I seen this thread that he was missing 7 qts I KNEW THE POST ABOVE WAS COMING!

He doesn't have a clue how much oil he's using etc...don't waste your time.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Wanted to give you guys an update, I found out that my valve covers do not have the baffles on the back side. So I'll be trying to find a set of those and see if that helps
Old 05-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Typical BS ...reason I don't answer many posts anymore. If you want help at least post something believeable. When I seen this thread that he was missing 7 qts I KNEW THE POST ABOVE WAS COMING!

He doesn't have a clue how much oil he's using etc...don't waste your time.
Yeah I guess you're somewhat right. but I'm learning a lot from this car. I made a hasty post because I was freaking out. After I closer look I realized I was wrong.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From the pic, you have the old LS1 PCV plumbing (under acceleration oil furiously pumps up pushrods and floods valve covers, g-force throws it to the rear into the PCV plumbing which promptly ducts it into intake manifold)...

you need the valley cover PCV plate and a catchcan.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, it's a good idea to check oil level regularly (some of us do this at gasoline fill up; some of us do this before starting engine each day).

Quick Reply: Help! Engine is using massive amount of oil