Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain contacting oil pump housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain contacting oil pump housing

Got my new build in the car and started this weekend the bad news is a can hear metal on metal contact which has to be timing chain contacting oil pump casing. It's a roller master double roller & Hubbard racing ported oil pump. I did use the supplied spacers but I was concerned on the minimal clearance on chain the back of pump casing. I had a friend look at it and he assured me the chain wouldn't flex forward when in motion so I was good. I also clearanced the cover and used clay to verify. Anyway ran it for a few minutes and shut her down! Im thinking about ditching the double roller and using the cloyes billet I originally purchased. Anyone else have this issue ??
Old 05-25-2015, 04:53 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

The stock pumps will usually hit in my experience. The Mellings have a little dimple to clear timing chains though. If you have a ported OEM pump, I'm not really surprised it hits.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Yeah well this suxs. Is it safe to assume running that short of time I will be alright swapping in the new chain and reusing the oil pump? Is the cloyes billet roller a good setup or should I go with a different chain?

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

I'm surprised to hear that it's hitting. I put an LS6 together last year and used a double roller, and it was close to the pump, like maybe .040 and it didn't hit when we ran it.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Well I'm guessing that it's the culprit for all the noise. I will post my findings when it gets torn down. Hope it isn't anything major!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html
Old 05-29-2015, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Well got oil pump and timing chain exposed and no rubbing clearance issues to be found I did notice that as a manually spun the crank the chain would go very tight and then loose as I roatated the crank? Seems odd to me so I swapped out to a cloyes single roller setup just to be sure also installed a trick flow dampner. The chain is now substantially tighter with this setup. I didn't run long enough to get all the air out of the cooling system so I'm hoping the noise wasn't just air in the water pump?

Quick Reply: Timing chain contacting oil pump housing