Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much I can get with ls1 heads & cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much I can get with ls1 heads & cam

Hi everyone , I read a lot of thread & a lot of topics about heads & cams . when I read more i have been more confused & don't know what i should doing

I have 96 impala with ls1 & t56 bolts on already

my goals beat a few cars of my friends 1- charger 2014 srt 8 bolts on or stock
2- lexus 2014 isf bolts on
3- mustang 5.0 liter bolts on

I don't care how much it's cost me my budget is open to beat them but I don't want to waste my money and still can't beat them I love to do it N/A .

It's possible with N/A ls1 ? or I should change my engine .

I really need a pro advise .
Old 06-02-2015, 05:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Very possible with a decent HCI. Here is my personal advice...get a nice budget HCI setup then buy a basic new or used nitrous kit.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:13 AM
Staging Lane

I want to do it N/A if it's possible
Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 AM
Teching In

You can get 420whp-450whp with a head/cam combo. If you're looking for 500whp its going to be a very radical setup.

I highly recommend a supercharger or turbo charger kit. With that said, if you are stuck on going N/A and want big power you might want to look at the lq9 block. Bore it, stroke it, forge it, get a badass cam, set of heads and a good intake.

Good luck
Old 06-02-2015, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is the Impala is heavy. Do to the weight of it, it's hard to say if a H/C/I package will be enough. Honestly, I would go with a supercharger for your application.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tyzorg
You can get 420whp-450whp with a head/cam combo. If you're looking for 500whp its going to be a very radical setup.

I highly recommend a supercharger or turbo charger kit. With that said, if you are stuck on going N/A and want big power you might want to look at the lq9 block. Bore it, stroke it, forge it, get a badass cam, set of heads and a good intake.

Good luck
thanks man , I think 450 not enough to beat that cars . It's not easy to have lq9 here and it's but I think about ls2 or any 6.0 liter , I don't want to change mine untill I know is there no other options because that's make me rebulid every thing again . What if i stroke my ls1 & get heads & cam ? is that still not enough ?
Old 06-02-2015, 06:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black Impala ss
thanks man , I think 450 not enough to beat that cars . It's not easy to have lq9 here and it's but I think about ls2 or any 6.0 liter , I don't want to change mine untill I know is there no other options because that's make me rebulid every thing again . What if i stroke my ls1 & get heads & cam ? is that still not enough ?
Are you absolutely set on going N/A ?

The reason I ask is because it can get very expensive and time intensive.

They make procharger kits that literally bolt right up, you load a "canned tune" and bam, you have 500whp.

Remember that your t56 needs to be built too. With your added weight, that transmission is going to be under much more stress. Also, with added power you will need a better clutch.

You CAN bore out a ls1 but I highly recommend switching to a iron block, but you mention you may have difficulties locating certain engines in your area?
Old 06-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
The problem is the Impala is heavy. Do to the weight of it, it's hard to say if a H/C/I package will be enough. Honestly, I would go with a supercharger for your application.
yes man I know the biggest problem the weight , I keep super or turbo in my mind but which choice is better get 6.0 liter engine and do cam & heads or just get turbo or super with mine .
Old 06-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

I would say run the 6.0 bigger bore with stronger internals. Put 150 shot on the car, shouldn't have any problems with the cars you've name.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This is why I recommended a basic nitrous setup and do a small 75-100 shot. That way you'll have that extra insurance in case the HCI isn't enough to beat those cars cars n/a
Old 06-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tyzorg
Are you absolutely set on going N/A ?

The reason I ask is because it can get very expensive and time intensive.

They make procharger kits that literally bolt right up, you load a "canned tune" and bam, you have 500whp.

Remember that your t56 needs to be built too. With your added weight, that transmission is going to be under much more stress. Also, with added power you will need a better clutch.

You CAN bore out a ls1 but I highly recommend switching to a iron block, but you mention you may have difficulties locating certain engines in your area?
No if it cost me more I well go with forced power for sure.

A think the trans can handle untill 600 whp right ? I have stage 2 clutch from corvette , is it enough or I should replace that too ?

About iron block I can't find one with good price here the second problem with iron block is the heat it's too hot here that's was my problem with lt1

If I stroke , bore mine & get procharge or turbo how much power I get ? can I beat that's cars ? is this option better than get 6.0 liter with heads & cam ?

What I want the best price option( my budget is open but I hate to waste my money if I don't have to ) & try to keep the car daily drive .
Old 06-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

My problem with gas is I never use it before & I try to build car for a long time I never think to sale this car . I know maybe the best offer to save money heads & cam with gas but I don't love it .
Old 06-04-2015, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your going to have a hard time beating those cars with a ls1, simply
due to the weight imbalance between your boat, and the two cars
your wanting to beat. even the metoostang.

my gto is putting down 440/400 and even in that, it's a heavy beotch.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Conversely, I had 420whp and 370tq and walked gt500's (stock) all day long. Weight is huge. Huge weight needs huge tq.

Where are you? Europe is a hard *** market for finding LS anything. Usually have to hunt around a US base or pick one up at a big expense from the airport. I would have swapped out my LS1 by now if I were back in the US. Maybe 2017....
Old 06-07-2015, 03:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by elephantrider
your going to have a hard time beating those cars with a ls1, simply
due to the weight imbalance between your boat, and the two cars
your wanting to beat. even the metoostang.

my gto is putting down 440/400 and even in that, it's a heavy beotch.
I'm putting 335/319 for now , I know i need at least 170 whp to beat them .
that's why I want to change my ls1 to 6. liter but I read so many thread that's make I respective number around 500 whp on ls1 .

I really want the best option : get 6 liter, heads & cam or go with forced power with mine , I think I can't beat them with just heads & cam on ls1 right ?
Old 06-07-2015, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Exidous
Conversely, I had 420whp and 370tq and walked gt500's (stock) all day long. Weight is huge. Huge weight needs huge tq.

Where are you? Europe is a hard *** market for finding LS anything. Usually have to hunt around a US base or pick one up at a big expense from the airport. I would have swapped out my LS1 by now if I were back in the US. Maybe 2017....
I'm in the middle east they have alot of ls1 and more of 6.0 liter l98 ,l77 but ls3 is so expensive & hard to find . I have i good budget but I don't find the best deal , the best way to beat that car & save money in the same time .

do u think it's better swap ls1 with 6.0 liter ? or stroked & used forced power with my ls1 ?
from what I read I understand I can't beat them with just heads & cam .
Old 06-07-2015, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 538 Likes on 383 Posts

Start Here .... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1761226-optimized-346-build-227-cam-almost-490-rwhp.html
Old 06-07-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black Impala ss
I'm in the middle east they have alot of ls1 and more of 6.0 liter l98 ,l77 but ls3 is so expensive & hard to find . I have i good budget but I don't find the best deal , the best way to beat that car & save money in the same time .

do u think it's better swap ls1 with 6.0 liter ? or stroked & used forced power with my ls1 ?
from what I read I understand I can't beat them with just heads & cam .
I would try for the cheapest gen IV motor you can find that isn't 4.8L and boost it. You will need to power with that much weight. the 5.3L IV Gen are an excellent choice. Tons of potential as a boosted motor.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
thanks , great thread .
Old 06-08-2015, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Exidous
I would try for the cheapest gen IV motor you can find that isn't 4.8L and boost it. You will need to power with that much weight. the 5.3L IV Gen are an excellent choice. Tons of potential as a boosted motor.
yes that what I'm want to find the cheapest way I can find . the problem I don't have many options on swapping my engine no 4.8L or 5.3L here , the cars with Ls engine is just chevy car or holden car it's just Ls1 , Ls2 not so much of that , L77 so many of that , L98 also so many & ls3 but so expensive about 5000 k .

I can't find any other Ls engine .

Quick Reply: How much I can get with ls1 heads & cam