Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alot of complaints of oil dran back..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think it's necessary to keep the tray full at all. People run link bars all the time without axle oiling and there's no problems. However I don't really see a benefit to drilling them either as the oil runs into a lot of obstruction when it's going back to the pan from there. It's a wash ether way imo no measurable difference. A crank scraper would also be another thing greatly help keep oil in the pan
Old 06-25-2015, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And if they hurt drain back, the block looks fine, but if the oil in the jead gets dumped primarily into the tray and not the block then i think that may be an issue.. i aslo think the gm expert that said gm knows whay they did and they engineered it yada yada yada.. well he also said over fill that same gm engineered engine with oil? Witxh if there is oil getting trapped up in the top, how would dumping more and more oil in it help?
Old 06-25-2015, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbird555
I don't think it's necessary to keep the tray full at all. People run link bars all the time without axle oiling and there's no problems. However I don't really see a benefit to drilling them either as the oil runs into a lot of obstruction when it's going back to the pan from there. It's a wash ether way imo no measurable difference. A crank scraper would also be another thing greatly help keep oil in the pan
I would love for you to help me pic a windage tray, or point me in the direction of a crank scraper.. i really dont like the stock windage tray , and my pan is only 1.75" deep for the first 5-6 inches..plus some for the gasket
Old 06-25-2015, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out improved racing. I'm running their crank scraper right now. They also have an oil baffle and windage tray iirc
Old 06-26-2015, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

^^^ thank you sir, where did all the ( as i like to call them) " ing-ga-neers " go... thats all it took to shut you up? or is your knowledge that relies on other people entirely still have a say that you want to forward into this debate?, i hate to be a dick, but clearly this is an issue with these engines... and anyone searching for a result gets the.." well gm designed it " or " mine hasnt blown up " .... how do these answers help solve the problem at all? You clearly cant think for yourself? Do you need to reliey on other people to think for you? If you do then i am not interested in your worthless answers, i want facts from people with expirience, not observations by people that can read and have google....
Old 06-28-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by N/A86
1st thing i see wrong is the stock windage trays look like a sheet of pliewood, and have barley any holes/ slots to actually help to get oil out of the tornado of oil and air surrounding the crank... 2nd dont know if anyone has done this before, but if your using lifter trays, there holding at least a half a quart of oil in them... heres what i did

Yes, it's been done & its' validity argued to death. A search would have answered most of your questions without the thread becoming an off topic debate about engine design flaws.

BTW, holes in your pic are far too small to provide much benefit, regardless.

Quick Reply: alot of complaints of oil dran back..