Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little cam info

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little cam info

New here . but i have a basically stock 5.3 bottom em with some mild porting on the heads and a 2 inch intake valve Upgrade here is my pickle the cam i have for it is a comp custom grind
( got it for practically nothing )
It's 646/609 235/240 112 lsa plan boosting this motor what kinda problems might i run into ..
Old 07-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the cam set up for a blower or N/A application? If it is for N/A then I would recommend not putting it in the engine. I believe in most cases N/A cams will only hinder your boost build. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe cams designed for boost are more concerned with removing exhaust gases out of the combustion chamber as quickly as possible. N/A cams are trying to get air in the combustion chamber (and out as well).
Old 07-09-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

You could run that cam N/A no problem, although that is quite a lot of cam for a 5.3. With 13 degrees of overlap, it will be a very poor FI cam. With FI, you don't need a lot of intake duration to get the air in, because the pressure boost will do that for you. You do need a lot of exhaust duration to scavenge the cylinders. A lot of valve overlap (both valves open at same time) can stop cylinder evacuation and spit a ton of raw fuel out the tailpipe.

Also, the way you plan to boost it will affect the cam specs - check out the sticky "Why LSA doesn't matter. On the last couple of pages, Martin explains the difference between FI cams and NA cams quite well.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats is a Texas-Speed Tsunami v1 cam, which is a large cam in an LS1 motor.

Quick Reply: Need a little cam info